UKC

city centre birmingham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Ferguson 14 Jan 2013
I'm on a course at Aston Uni and at a loose end in the evenings. I have discovered the uni climbing wall is no more, looked on UKC and there seem to be two walls within walking distance, the Birmingham Bouldering Centre and Redpoint. Which would you locals recommend?
I'm after bouldering, auto belays if there are any and maybe some roped climbing if anyone is free tuesday night, operating in the 6's.

many thanks

Dave Ferguson
 Neil Williams 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Haven't been to the Birmingham Bouldering Centre, but Redpoint is excellent for both roped climbing and bouldering.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

Don't think it has any autobelays though.

Neil
 Charlie Noakes 14 Jan 2013

Birmingham bouldering centre has outstanding bouldering, much better imo than the other walls around, plenty to go at at all grades.

Redpoint is very good for routes, no auto belays though and the gradings a bit stiff, but the route setting is quality with a good variety of walls and angles. The bouldering is decent too, but not a patch on the bbc.
 John_Hat 14 Jan 2013

Redpoint is excellent and has both a large roped climbing area and a large (and currently in the process of expanding) bouldering area.
I particularly like the way Redpoint set their bouldering problems - because their wall is not very high it involves more moves you have to think about, traverses etc rather than just going straight up, and they avoid the temptation that some walls have to make very high-up moves the crux (if only because of the height of the wall) and to set really powerful, awkward sit starts substantially harder than the rest of the problem.

Neil
andic 14 Jan 2013
I went to Aston about 12 years ago, Chem eng and applied chemistry. Bloody hell I'm getting old
 cat88 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson: There is also boulder central in west brom
Muriel 15 Jan 2013
I use Birmingham Bouldering Centre I just love the place, it is only Bouldering but I prefer that than ropes these days.
I'm sure Tuesday is a student night. £4.50.
Well worth checking out.
 Bloodfire 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson: From Aston Uni both are around 500 metres away.

I only get to climb in my lunch times at the moment so I'm trying to justify paying the £10 initial starter trip to get to BBC, maybe they'll do me a lunchtime special...
 And Climb 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson: Both are good. Redpoint's bouldering is shorter so tends to be harder sit starts. BBC's walls are much taller so everything can be more spaced apart. Hard to say which is better since both are different. If you do go to BBC then prepare for the slopers!
david billington 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Bloodfire:
Life registration is a fiver plus climbing cost. Speak to Ste the manager about lunchtime climbing.
 Stevie.Toft 20 Jan 2013

Hi Dave. To climb at the BBC you do not have to take up our life membership scheme. You can climb as a day member for £7 off peak or £8 on peak (4pm-10pm).

All the circuits are currently new and we change them every 3 1/2 weeks, so there is always new stuff to go at.

Kind regards Steve.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...