UKC

Mammut crevasse rescue device - RescYou

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RockShock 15 Jan 2013
Hi,

Got sent yesterday the following link: youtube.com/watch?v=TEC-KOIhDBQ&

The vid is from mid 2012 and some press releases I saw on the web stated that the device will be available in early 2013... However, since then, there's been no information. Is anyone aware if the product is still in works/cancelled/being shipped .....?

Looks quite interesting, for sure can be a bit of a revolution if made well...

Cheers
RS
 alooker 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock: seems like something else to carry to me, I'd be carrying prussiks anyway and I can use these for other applications. Good for skiers or snowboarders as the vi deo seems to suggest though
RockShock 15 Jan 2013
In reply to alooker:

Well, 420g is not feather weight and indeed the prusiks are to be at the harness anyways, but RescYou still has advantages. I especially see it useful in two-man teams. Constructing a pulley system from the spare rope and crabs to haul your mate out of the crevasse is way less effective and to get decent leverage you'd need a lot of equipment and time to do it.

Plus, using prusiks etc when passing stopper knots is a pain in the back - with RescYou seems much faster and easy...

Anyways, one is correct - another "gadget" that is not replacing traditional gear, rather complementing it - but I am starting to look for something not essential that weighs 500g in order to drop it out of the pack in change for the RescYou (potentially of course and assuming it hits the stores anyway)...
Cheers for your input
RS
 alooker 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock: true, but hauling your mate out of a crevasse is a massive pain in the buttocks - if I wasn't unconscious then the first thing I'd do is ascend the rope using my own prussiks and a sling. 840g, even between 2, for something with limited and specific use seems a bit of a waste to me. Although, if it works for you then it's all good!
In reply to RockShock: I don't think I'd ever carry one in the Alps but it might have potential in other situations such as emergency rescues on high-ropes courses.
 RoK 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock:
They're down as in stock in lockwoods.
http://www.lockwoods.com/ski-club-of-gb-off-piste-safety-equipment-/mammut-...

No idea what they're like as a retailer.
I can't quite decide if its a time saver (and potential life saver by that virtue) or a rather spendy gimmick.
 dutybooty 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock: Lockwoods are quite good instore, but never ordered online off them.
 OwenM 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock: Its just some pulleys and a ratchet, some revolver crabs and a ropeman-2 will do the same thing and be more versatile and lighter.
RockShock 15 Jan 2013
In reply to OwenM:
> (In reply to RockShock) Its just some pulleys and a ratchet, some revolver crabs and a ropeman-2 will do the same thing and be more versatile and lighter.

That's what I am wondering about:
- to create same leverage as RescYou, you'd need a lot of gear. As far as I see RescYou gives you 1:6 ratio
- I am not sure if ropeman would work with thin auxiliary cord, so probably you need to use your spare lenght of rope to construct the puley system
- I am guessing (don't know the ropeman setup you refer to) that with one Ropeman it's going to be difficult to pass the stopper knots on the rope - you'd need some backup "blocking device" or prusik, correct?

One thing is certain, the device, while useful, is probably not essential indeed.
Cheers
RS
 butteredfrog 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock:

It would be useful for rescuing stuck canoes.
 jon 15 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock:

> to create same leverage as RescYou, you'd need a lot of gear

Mechanical advantage, not leverage. Actually you don't need 'a lot of gear' to create 6:1, but improvised systems lose a lot of their advantage through friction. Looks like this thing is pretty efficient.
 OwenM 16 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock: Yes you use your spare rope, that's what the coils over your shoulder are for. Never used stopper knots, I would think that if you did use them you'd have to use another rope (could be the other end of your rope I guess).
RockShock 16 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to RockShock)
>
> [...]
>
> Mechanical advantage, not leverage. Actually you don't need 'a lot of gear' to create 6:1, but improvised systems lose a lot of their advantage through friction. Looks like this thing is pretty efficient.

Cheers, I am not British so I'll use that as my excuse. I knew 'leverage' sounded wrong, but didn't know the right word for the "ratio" description.
RockShock 16 Jan 2013
In reply to OwenM:
> (In reply to RockShock) Yes you use your spare rope, that's what the coils over your shoulder are for. Never used stopper knots, I would think that if you did use them you'd have to use another rope (could be the other end of your rope I guess).

Yeah, the problem is that if you decide to haul your partner out, you will be pulling the rope that links you and your partner, so the knots will get in the way anyways. It's not a big deal when using Tibloc's as it's relatively easy to remove it from the rope and move down the knot, but with prusiks it getss fiddly.

Other consideration is that if you are pulling the rope with knots, the knots will have to pass through the pulleys as you pull, so this adds another thing to watch for - the advantage of RescYou would be that rope linking you to your partner is external to the pulley system, so whatever you pull out doesn't mess later with the pulleys/crabs...

In general, knots on the rope are pain in the back when hauling, but I've been told that in two-man teams they greatly help to stop the fall - so I normally have few of them tied every few meters in the central part...

Cheers
RS
 AdrianC 16 Jan 2013
In reply to OwenM: Stopper knots are worth considering - especially for a party of two. Yes - they mean that the rope you've held the fall on is difficult to haul but, in a climbing situation and assuming you have to haul them out, you're probably going to drop them a loop from your coils as the first 2:1 part of a 6:1 system and haul them on that. So the knots aren't a problem any and they can make a real difference to stopping someone who's falling in a slot.
 OwenM 16 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock: As I understand it, the idea is that the knots dig into the lip of the crevasse thus adding friction into your system and making it easier to hold the fall. Your rope and knots will then be stuck in a deep grove. There will be far too much friction for you to haul your partner up using that rope so getting by the knots isn't an issue. You'll have to use either another rope if you have one or the other end of your main rope if it's long enough. If you can't do either of these options your stuck that's why I don't use knotted ropes.
Hauling someone up a crevasse isn't something that you'll do very often, in 35 years of regular visits to the Alps and Andes etc I've never yet had to do it in anger. Carrying a bit of heavy kit just for that one use is not very efficient. Being able to do the job with what your already carrying is I think a better idea.
Flat4matt 18 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock:

We use this type of system on our ropes team but use the petzl variant. Its a cracking piece of kit and saves time making pulley systems up. Can be alot of a faff with all the rope everywhere but after practice its great. overall can see why this would be of benefit having used one similar.
RockShock 25 Jan 2013
In reply to RockShock:

Replying to myself, just to close the topic.

Device is apparently available already in some stores in UK indeed, although officially it will be distributed as part of the 'summer collection', that's why it's not yet on the webpage. Local store in Madrid expecting arrival in march at around 115EUR price tag (estimate).

Cheers
RS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...