UKC

Ski-Caving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam1971 15 Jan 2013
I think a new sport has been invented, Ski-Caving, anyway certainly a ski tour with a difference. 5 minute vid and if you are short of time watch the 30 seconds from 3.38.
Sam

youtube.com/watch?v=VKQUbHa3gY0&
 beardy mike 15 Jan 2013
In reply to sam1971: This pretty much sums up the great void between france and britain. The first video you can bet your bottom dollar they went home and talked about the grand emotion they experienced whilst skiing a very beautiful line. The second one they will have gone home, gotten pissed and had a laugh about the ridiculous thing they just did...
 French Erick 15 Jan 2013
In reply to sam1971:
Not new, locals have been doing it for some time. They kept quiet about it: they're very "insular" in the devoluy.
 yorkshireman 15 Jan 2013
In reply to French Erick:
> (In reply to sam1971)
> Not new, locals have been doing it for some time. They kept quiet about it: they're very "insular" in the devoluy.

Hey! No we're not.

I can see the chouroum olympique on the Grand Ferrand (first video) right now from my home office window. Yesterday I saw a bunch of people skiing down from the Tete de le vallon Pierra, just by it, through my telescope.

Its a bit beyond my skill level anyway at the moment.
 French Erick 15 Jan 2013
Pretty good level of skills though.
I seem to vaguely remember someone mentionning it in the late 90's. It coulb be another place as there are a number of limestone massifs that could have such features around. Could there be something similar in the Vercor?
Also some caving type places where you ski in and walk out? pinch o'salt posts on here and I think he did something similar a few years back.
 French Erick 15 Jan 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:
Come on! I bet you've had some awkward moment with the born and bred locals. Once you've been accepted you're ok but there's a probation period, is there not? They're a bit like that where I'm from too... no shame in it!
 French Erick 15 Jan 2013
meant north vercor
 French Erick 15 Jan 2013
one of my uncles from that nick of the wood (Vercor-Autrans)...he's nice when you get to know him but pretty taciturn at first =)
 yorkshireman 15 Jan 2013
> (In reply to yorkshireman)
> Come on! I bet you've had some awkward moment with the born and bred locals. Once you've been accepted you're ok but there's a probation period, is there not? They're a bit like that where I'm from too... no shame in it!

Only joking - yes like any small rural environment there is a 'bedding in' period but we seem to have been pretty well accepted, are quite integrated and haven't upset anyone (yet).
 French Erick 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:
doh! that'll be the one then... did not watch the 2nd video.
 Pinch'a'salt 15 Jan 2013

Salut Erick! Glad I didn't have to point it out to you Chourum de la Parza is the only one I know of which is proper ab in climb out, but there may be more - had to do a fair bit of digging to get info (internet helps though). Chourum Olympique is quite high on the list of things to do but I would imagine it will get lots of traffic this year as it was in one of Xavier de le Rues recent vids...

Pinch'a'salt 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mike kann:
> The second one they will have gone home, gotten pissed and had a laugh about the ridiculous thing they just did...

That really is uncannily close to the mark

Flat4matt 15 Jan 2013
In reply to sam1971:

Fantastic!!!
 yorkshireman 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:
> (In reply to French Erick)
>
> Chourum Olympique is quite high on the list of things to do

Fancy trying it like this?

vimeo.com/15213712
 Pinch'a'salt 16 Jan 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to Pinch'a'salt)
> [...]
>
> Fancy trying it like this?
>
> vimeo.com/15213712

I might, but I can't get the link to work... !

DaveHK 16 Jan 2013
In reply to sam1971:

That's quite 3D!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...