/ Winter Climbing - Blea Water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HOTDOG1 - on 16 Jan 2013
Has anybody been over to Blea Water area, staying at Great Strickland this weekend and looking for some ice.
Oceanic - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to HOTDOG1:

I believe the road is closed due to roadworks. I'm not sure if that means it is impossible to drive down the road?
iksander on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to HOTDOG1: Give the Haweswater hotel a ring? Ask them if blea water is frozen. Last time I was there people were ice skating on it
quarky - on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to HOTDOG1: Went over that way yesterday (17/01) Couldn't get up the road due to heavy machinery. So parked down at Burnbanks end and had a run up the north side of the res. to Blea Tarn. The lower sections of the falls and gill are starting to form but as far as i could see it was mostly fairly thin drippy stuff yet, maybe better higher up but hard to tell. The road is fully open to traffic at the weekends, you could however try to squeeze through midweek but i doubt the road workers would be particularly accommodating in letting you through...??
ads.ukclimbing.com
Si Withington - on 19 Jan 2013
In reply to HOTDOG1:

We went to have a look at Blea Water Gill this afternoon - an update is here: http://www.facebook.com/LakelandAscents

Briefly, it hasn't properly formed yet. The ice that has formed is weakly bonded both to itself and the rock and water is still running freely down the line. The conditions don't really improve with height either. It needs another week I'd say.

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.