UKC

Cheviot access?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jimmacfarlane 16 Jan 2013
I don't suppose anyone up in Wooler knows whether the Harthope valley road into the Cheviot is blocked at present or has the tractor cleared it yet? Hoping to squeeze in a quick ski tour tomorrow if I can get close enough.

Thanks.
 McDuck 16 Jan 2013
In reply to jimmacfarlane: You could try ringing Sale and Partners in Wooler, tel. 01668 281611, they're the land agents for the rental cottages in the valley and sell 10 tickets per day allowing you to park past the main carpark at Hethpool. They find out conditions from the estate workers each day, handy to save a long trek along the road when heading for Bizzle Burn or the Hen Hole.
In reply to jimmacfarlane:

The access should be fine, the road isn't ploughed anyway, main concern should be the very thin snow cover for skiing, only a small dump, the hills look pretty though.
skarabrae 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Andrew Clarke: i believe most of the snow fell to the east (coastal)of the cheviots & durham way, yadd moss is open today.
i did a tour of the town moor last night
jimmacfarlane 16 Jan 2013
Thanks all - very helpful.
 rnotman67 16 Jan 2013
In reply to jimmacfarlane: Hi Jim, Fancy meeting you here! If your in that way, let us know if any ice in abouts there for climbing. Cheers. Ryan.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 19 Jan 2013
In reply to rnotman67:

Any updates on access?
In reply to aujayeb:

Heavy snowfall on friday, snow showers today, just in from a wee leg stretch around the Wooler alps, knee deep @300m, would have thought a 4x4 necessary for langleeford.
jimmacfarlane 19 Jan 2013
Thanks Andrew - sounds cracking. Might risk that road with chains! Ryan - apologies if my memory is poor. Do we know each other?!
 McDuck 20 Jan 2013
In reply to jimmacfarlane: Another option could by to look at Borders Gliding Club webcam and weather station, been told their "north" camera looks towards Yeavering Bell from the airfield at Millfield, weather station can be a bit eratic . . it was 50 odd degrees the other night when I checked up on nightshift :-S
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 22 Jan 2013
In reply to McDuck:

we went up there on sunday. great day all round!

http://aujayebblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/walk-in-northumberland-jan-2013...

jimmcfarlane- is it who i think it is??

Avi

jimmacfarlane 24 Jan 2013
Any update on the road situation above Wooler from someone who might have ventured up that way this week? Am assuming pretty bad given its state on Sunday and the big dump of snow on Mon/Tues. Have got chains and 2wd - any info appreciated, thanks

I would imagine you should battle through to Langleeford with chains, most roads are passable now, was just up on the tops above ingram on the XC skis, trying to get somewhere to park off the road will be the biggest problem due to the depth of snow, shovel a must to dig out, had a fantastic day on the skinny skis yesterday also around Humbleton and the gallops, feels desolate and wild, the snow as deep as the gates in places.

Where did you get to on sunday, would imagine Cheviot to be quite sporting.
jimmacfarlane 25 Jan 2013
Thanks Andrew, sounds incredible up there. We didn't manage to get beyond the entrance to the Langleeford Road on Sunday but had a great few hours on the skis (on the heavy ski touring fritschi set-up) on the slopes around there. Can't wait to go tomorrow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...