UKC

Buying used/worn climbing rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
macstinator 16 Jan 2013
Hello,

Theoretically speaking, would people be willing to sell their well used/worn out climbing rope?

I have a project in mind that would potentially need a fair bit of it. It is a commercial enterprise, so fair prices would be paid.

Generally, is there much of the stuff around? What do climbers do with it normally at the end of its life?

Thanks in advance.
 winhill 16 Jan 2013
In reply to macstinator:

Have you tried searching ebay for used, worn?

Seems you can get used tights and underwear for reasonable prices, I bet the same applies to rope.
 Simon4 16 Jan 2013
In reply to macstinator: Huge amounts around.

Are you planning on using it for climbing? If so most people would be very reluctant to sell it to you, while you should be very wary of those who are not.

For non-climbing purposes, it should be easy to get, depending on where you are.
In reply to macstinator: Your best bet will not be individual climbers - postage costs for rope are fairly high.

If I wanted old rope I'd just contact all the major climbing walls local to me. They will get through several hundreds of metres per year and I'd guess they will more than happy to be paid even a small amount for the retired rope. The same goes for outdoor centres.

The only downside is the ropes retired from climbing walls are generally completely trashed and will suffer more from 'blackening' from powdered aluminium from climbing equipment than ropes belonging to individual climbers.
macstinator 16 Jan 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

That's is a bloody good idea - this is not to be used for any form of supporting human weight.

I wonder if these ropes would be machine washable, and whether her indoors would mind me finding if ropes can be cleaned in my machine!

Also, this is all theoretical. I am not about to buy any ropes anytime soon.

Thanks.
 iksander 16 Jan 2013
In reply to macstinator: Yes ropes are machine washable. Stick them in a mesh bag to minimise tangling
 Mark Kemball 16 Jan 2013
In reply to macstinator:
What do climbers do with it normally at the end of its life?
>

My old rope first becomes my ab rope, when it's getting past that, I cut bits off for abseil anchors on the culm.

EddInaBox 16 Jan 2013
In reply to macstinator:

> ...What do climbers do with it normally at the end of its life?

I give it a wash, melt off the furry bits with my trusty Black and Decker hot air paint stripper and put it up on eBay as 'only used twice indoors, never taken a fall.'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...