UKC

Which Forecast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rock Badger 16 Jan 2013
What weather forecast do you use for scottish mountains and is it any use.
Is their any point in making definite plans 3 days in advance.
Cheers Count
 Mountain Llama 16 Jan 2013
In reply to count: use MWIS web site along with SAIS, found both to be fairly accurate.

HTH Davey
 Jim Fraser 16 Jan 2013
In reply to count:

Yes. Tell us what the best ones are folks and I shall make sure they go in the revision of Kintail's Conditions Central.
OP Rock Badger 16 Jan 2013
In reply to count: have used the mwis, been pretty disappointed with the percentage figure for cloud free munroes. Different sites all seem to give different predictions
drmarten 16 Jan 2013
In addition to the usual suspects (Met Office Mountain forecast, MWIS, SAIS) the Traffic Scotland website has useful roadside webcams and I've found the weather stations are very useful to providing up to date temperatures.
In reply to Jim Fraser: Am liking Kintail's Conditions Central got lots of forecasts
Cheers Jim
 Mark Bull 16 Jan 2013
In reply to count:
> (In reply to count) have used the mwis, been pretty disappointed with the percentage figure for cloud free munroes. Different sites all seem to give different predictions

Cloud levels are one of the hardest parameters to forecast, unfortunately.
The Met Office's mountain area forecasts are worth using, too.
 isi_o 16 Jan 2013
In reply to count:
MWIS, MET office, BBC sometimes, windfinder etc... If they all say the same then make plans as it's a fairly certain forecast. If they all say different then hold fire because there is a large degree of uncertainty. From what I understand, the various forecasters are provided with the same info (from the met office I think?) that gives % chance of different things, and then draw up their forecasts from that.
Isi
In reply to count: Cheers guys, guess you've just got to make it out their and do what can be done with a bit of educated guess from weather forecasts. Well here's hoping Saturday will be nice to us
 Jim Fraser 16 Jan 2013
In reply to count:
> (In reply to Jim Fraser) Am liking Kintail's Conditions Central got lots of forecasts
> Cheers Jim

Getting a bit ragged around the edges, a few broken links to sort out and probably some new stuff to adopt. I am hoping to see some good ideas here.

Mike Lates 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: XC for up to date wind directions is no.1; crucial for how the weather pans out here on Skye. BBC projections of front/cloud timings either on TV or video forecast through website in following 24hrs. MWIS often slow to react & pessimistic for Cuillin but freezing level & cloud base useful at times.
 Jim Fraser 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Good to work with you last month Mike. Pity it was in such sad circumstances. Let me know about blog and report stuff as well so I can get that side of things up-to-date on Conditions Central as well.
 Baron Weasel 17 Jan 2013
In reply to count: Read a few, the more they agree the better your chance you can make plans a few days in advance.

Along with the usual suspects I quite like this Norwegian weather site http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Kendal/

BW
 Mike Lates 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: Hi Jim
I keep reports & conditions for winter & summer on Skye on my Blog- http://skyeguides.co.uk/blog/
Weather sites and notes- http://skyeguides.co.uk/weather/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...