UKC

cheap firewood, Sheffield?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JD84 16 Jan 2013
Hi all, does anyone know where I can get cheap, seasoned logs in Sheffield? Preferably delivered (s11). Had a look online and they seem pricey.

Thanks,

Jon
 Philip 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JD84:

Try eBay - that usually where I look for local suppliers. I don't buy through eby, most people list their phone. I've paid 100 for a pickup full, about 2 yd^3
 the power 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JD84: I had 2 loads last winter from Sheffield tree care 07830352994 £150 per load good seasoned timber
 Philip 17 Jan 2013
That's quite pricey, I usually pay about £100 for a tipped load in Staffs/Derby area
 Chris the Tall 17 Jan 2013
In reply to JD84:
Try the farms on the way out to ringinglow. Two years ago we got a builders bag from the one on Hangram Lane for about £50 delivered. This year we went through a supplier reccomended by the place at Eccy woods, twice the cost for a bigger load

Actually could you let me know you get on - we might need more before the end of the winter
 Radioactiveman 17 Jan 2013
In reply to JD84:

If you live near an industrial estate you can usually get free pallets.A lot of places leave them outside to be taken free so they dont have to pay for disposal. They burn fast but the blocks at the corners last longer.

Very dry and easy to chop up. No need to bother removing the nails just put a magnet in a plastic bag and pick the nails out of the ash easy peasy.

Granted they aren't as long burning as hardwood but they are free.

nw 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
Also generally treated and sometimes painted, potentially dodgy fumes and shite can accumulate in your chimney. Not the best for your main fuel.
 goosebump 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Philip:

+1 for sheffield tree care. Worth checking that you are comparing like for like when assessing prices (often "seasoned" means different things to different people. Ask how long the logs have been down and split).
And Nick who runs the firm is a top bloke, none too shabby climber, employing other climbers. All good.
OP JD84 18 Jan 2013
thanks for all the replies. I've been put in touch with a friend of a friend who is a tree surgeon and has sorted others out with logs in the past. If that fails I'll give Sheffield tree care a call.

Chris, yes I'll let you know.

Cheers again,

Jon
 Radioactiveman 18 Jan 2013
In reply to nw:

Uk pallets are not treated with chemicals anymore, they are heat treated, The only ones that are painted are deposit return ones which should not be left out for taking.

Unless you get some from india where they still treat with methyl bromide you will be fine. If heat treated they are likely to be marked HT by branding.

Good info on greenliving forum

http://www.thegreenlivingforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=107079&am...
 nw 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
Good info, thanks.
 Radioactiveman 18 Jan 2013
In reply to JD84:

Your welcome
mgco3 18 Jan 2013
In reply to JD84: With all the shops boarded up in Sheffield I would have thought there was no shortage of firewood!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...