UKC

Nice ride from Worcester to Ludlow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robert Dickson 17 Jan 2013
Hi all,
I've volunteered to organise a 2-3 day tour starting in Worcester for chums. My initial thoughts were heading north along a sustrans then back roads to Ludlow and staying in a nice pub then meandering back to Worcester. So, those who know the area, were your first thoughts "What? Is he f**king crazy? It's dangerous/boring/shit-hole" (delete as appropriate).

The reason for a Worcester start was it should be reasonably easy to get to from Birmingham airport as they're flying from Belfast.

Alternative routes, pub suggestions ,etc. all warmly received.

Thanks,
Bob
 malky_c 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Dickson: I don't really have any specific route suggestions, but you should try and take in Titterstone Clee Hill - great views from up there.

Most of the countryside on the west side of the River Severn is very pleasant (as is some of it immediately east too) - you could just as easily start from Stourbridge or Kidderminster and be in nice surroundings very quickly. The main issue is the hills once you get into Shropshire - the roads just go up and down endlessly. I find cycling in the Highlands much less knackering than around Shropshire.

Here's an example of a day route I did last summer - probably won't help you massively as I started further north, but it did go through Ludlow:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
 balmybaldwin 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Dickson:

First thought was Worcester to Ludlow and back is easily doable as a day trip

If you trying to make it a multi day event, I would recommend heading southwest out of Worcester, towards Gloucester, and Ross on Wye, then follow the river Wye (some very pleasant lanes through a private estate (that are open to the public) up towards Hereford, then north through Leominster (not the nicest of towns, then up through Richard's Castle into Ludlow (which is a lovely old town).

Following day do a loop to the north through the Clee Hills to the North East of Ludlow, looping back down through Kidderminster and eventually Worcester.

There are some beautiful areas, it was a section I really enjoyed when riding LEJOG last year (despite several roads being under a foot of flood water!)
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to Robert Dickson)
>
> First thought was Worcester to Ludlow and back is easily doable as a day trip
>
Really looking for softies ride, hence if it's hilly it needs to be short with the lure of a nice pub at the end!

> If you trying to make it a multi day event, I would recommend heading southwest out of Worcester, towards Gloucester, and Ross on Wye, then follow the river Wye (some very pleasant lanes through a private estate (that are open to the public) up towards Hereford, then north through Leominster (not the nicest of towns, then up through Richard's Castle into Ludlow (which is a lovely old town).
>
> Following day do a loop to the north through the Clee Hills to the North East of Ludlow, looping back down through Kidderminster and eventually Worcester.
>
> There are some beautiful areas, it was a section I really enjoyed when riding LEJOG last year (despite several roads being under a foot of flood water!)

Some really interesting suggestions there, certainly gives me something to aim for. Nice to know that the basic idea isn't a crock too!

Thanks,
Bob
In reply to malky_c: Thanks for that! I'm just trying to get a feel for the area at the moment so any suggestions are really helpful.

Cheers,
Bob
 TobyA 17 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Following day do a loop to the north through the Clee Hills to the North East of Ludlow, looping back down through Kidderminster and eventually Worcester.

This is my (original) neck of the woods and I'd say around here stay west of the Severn. To go from Clee/Cleobury to Worcester, it would be a much better ride to go on the B4202 to Abberley/Great Whitley, then next to Walgrove and Woodbury Hills down to Martley, then into Worcester from there. Kidderminster to Worcester on the eastside of the river would be pretty boring I think.

Bimble 17 Jan 2013

If you're in Ludlow, a day out to the Church Stretton area & a loop around the Long Mynd may be nice, especially if you like severe climbs with long rolling tops afterwards. Lovely views and good pubs (the one in Little Stretton shall be getting my post-walk business tomorrow).
 wilkesley 18 Jan 2013

If you are starting from Brum, you could do Telford -> Chester. I did this over 2 days last year. Good rail connections from Chester to get back to Brum. I can provide more details if you want.
 ollieollie 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Dickson: you could start in birmingham and ride the canal toe path to worcester on day one(it's a nice interesting walk/cycle), then from worcester you could do do a loop round the base of the malverns(again nice and picturesque) on day two and day three you could head out to stratford or bromyard going the other way. i have walked all of these and recommend them, not too challenging either with plenty of nice pubs and interesting spots and good views.

also i agree with the church stretton, clee hill and wye valley suggestions
Robert Dickson 18 Jan 2013
In reply to all: Wow! Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. Plenty to think about there.

Thanks again everyone.
 Jim Hamilton 18 Jan 2013

It might be worth checking local cycling club websites, they can have details of popular rides.
 ollieollie 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Dickson: when is this for bob? you'll need a sledga atm
Robert Dickson 18 Jan 2013
In reply to ollieollie: When it's warm and dry hopefully! Remarkably pathetic quantity of snow in Manchester at the mo'
 ollieollie 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Dickson: or even a sledge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...