Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Wood burning stove in a rental property

Toby S - on 18 Jan 2013
I've been helping a friend look at houses for rent and they've found one that they like and will hopefully be signing the lease for soon.

I noticed that the property had a wood burning stove which is all very nice, but a slight concern I had was that it was carpeted right up to the base of the wall where the stove was. They've asked the letting agent whether they'll put a hearth in as they're concerned that any soot or ash that escapes from the stove while it's being cleaned may mark the carpet. They're also a bit worried that any embers that fall out could be a safety risk. Chances are the worst that'll happen is it'll singe the carpet but thats not great if you're expecting to get a deposit back after a few years!

The letting agent/landlord have said that they won't put anything in as they don't want to change any of the decor but they're happy for them to put a rug in front of it or even plonk a slab of marble down in front of it.

Are the landlords duty bound to do anything about this or is it a fuss about nothing?
... not showing 23 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums