/ Another winter conditions interpretation thread - Norries
I don't mind the wind or the cold, but avalanches are my main concern. I've checked MWIS and SAIS, and there is 'considerable' risk from SW through to NE facing slopes.
I realise that the approach to routes of this aspect will be dangerous, but are you generally safer once on the route? (Providing it's not a gully/snow plod).
Ideally I'd like to get routes like invernookie and wavelength done, but is this perhaps a bit too risky considering everything mentioned above?
Would be keen to hear what more experienced people than myself think, and what they do when the forecast is as it is for tomorrow! (Apart from going to the pub..)
Hope that helps, Al
A couple of hours ago it was -8 on Cairngorm with winds gusting to 100mph.
There's a fair chance somewhere in the corrie will be safe, but do you really have to go to the one place in Scotland where the weather will be at its worst? Go west.
Its not far to drive west to better conditions!
in general, if your looking at routes also think about how / where they end. Even mixed lines can have a snow slope above them which can be really dodgy and may not be visible at the start of the day.
Looking at the SAIS forecast now (high risk above 900m W-Ne, Considerable at least in places on most other aspects above 900m) If I couldn't get west, I'd be thinking about the merits of a day on piste or walking, with a good chance of ending up eating bacon butties in Aviemore given the weather forecast.
Elsewhere on the site
Last year, Finn McCann wrote an article about climbing El Capitan with his terminally ill father Seamus, who had been... Read more
A fantastically versatile little pack; whether out running in the hills, hitting the trails on the bike or just running for the... Read more
Pete Whittaker has flashed the 32 pitch route Freerider 5.12d on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley over three days,... Read more
Manchester Climbing Centre is showing Reel Rock’s Valley Uprising on Tuesday the 11th of November at... Read more