UKC

March 2013, Climbing / Mountain Routes In Austria Advice Wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gibbi 18 Jan 2013
Hi,

Im off to see a climbing friend in Austria in early March this year. Will be flying into Vienna and he will have a car out there to get round.

I can only lead up to Scottish winter IV but would be interested in doing multi pitch routes, big mountain routes or ice climbing.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice / experience with regards to what we are likely to be able to do at that time of year? and whats the best area to head to in Austria?

Thanks all in advance..

alasdair19 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Gibbi: I'd say it would be ski touring seAson.over there. Late march would be getting late for ice falls. May well be worth joining the Austrian alpine club and seeing what sort of stuff they do at this time.
 Null 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Gibbi:

> Im off to see a climbing friend in Austria in early March this year. Will be flying into Vienna and he will have a car out there to get round.
>
Vienna is quite far from the best mountaineering areas. I had a pal over there who said there was some quite good ski touring relatively close to the capital, but the best area is around Innsbruck.

Early March is definitely ski mountaineering season with icefalls option. Maybe some low lying bolt crags ...
 Paavo Lane 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Gibbi:

You could try something on the Grossglockner, which is not too close to Vienna, at least 4 hours away, but the best bet for a proper moutain ice route.

For example something like the Mayerlramp on the north face at about 70 degrees III+ would probably be doable given settled weather conditions. The approach will be long, but interesting on skis (you will almost certainly need them then). There is a nice bivi hut 10 minutes from the face as well.

Some pictures on here from last November when I was up there, if you are interested:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150463567165450&set=a.10150375...

Otherwise there is plenty of ski touring nearer Vienna, and ice falls not too far, but as others have mentioned March may be a little late, but something will be possible.

Also, south facing rock even at quite high altitudes is often done nearly all winter (in periods of sunny weather), somewhere like the Dachstein with cable car access to make it easier, for example.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...