UKC

Taxus, Beinn an Dothaidh - conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomb 18 Jan 2013
As the title goes, does any one know the condition of Taxus, Beinn an Dothaidh?

We've had our share of gullies and hoping for a bit of ice/mixed climbing tomorrow to finish our week in Scotland.

Thanks,
T
 Jamie B 18 Jan 2013
In reply to thomb:

Er, Taxus IS a gully!

There didn't look to be a lot of ice in it on Tuesday and I think the exit slopes might be loading with windslab in these Easterlies.

Think mixed - Stairway to Heaven or West Buttress are good IIIs in these conditions.
OP thomb 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Thanks Jamie, will check them out.
OP thomb 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

How long is the walk in to BaD? Stairway to heaven looking like fun.
 Jamie B 18 Jan 2013
In reply to thomb:

I reckon it's about an hour and a half to the floor of the Corrie. It never feels too taxing as it's not steep and the ground is usually firm and scoured. Aim to cut inside the small hillock at the mouth of the Corrie. Enjoy, it's a great spot, never busy and with some of the best views in the country.
drmarten 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
I take it you've done the walk-in from the new car park, does it add on much to the day? Is there any sign of a path and does it join up with the original at the railway bridge?
In reply to drmarten:
A path is developing, and it does link up with the original track from the farm . Doesn't add more than an extra 5 minutes to your day. It may get boggy at tinmes but at the moment it's frozen solid
 Jamie B 19 Jan 2013
In reply to drmarten:

> I take it you've done the walk-in from the new car park, does it add on much to the day? Is there any sign of a path and does it join up with the original at the railway bridge?

It probably adds about half-an-hour to your day, but not unpleasantly. It's clearly signed and rejoins the old path just before the bridge. My only concern is that because it's not an engineered path it will eventually cut up and get quite boggy. At present it's okay though.

drmarten 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B/Watch of Barrisdale :
Thanks for that.
 gscw 19 Jan 2013
In reply to thomb:

Did Stairway to Heaven today. Turf great - little gear except warthogs.

Taxus looked a bit lean. Spoke to folk who did Menage a Trois.

G.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...