UKC

Race recovery time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex@home 18 Jan 2013
Been running since last summer. Last Sunday I entered my 2nd fell race. It was only short (.5 miles) but very steep (c950ft climbing).
I gave it my all and don't think I could have gone any faster. I've been for 2 runs since - Weds did a flattish 10km and felt pretty dead after about 5 miles and today did about 9 miles but felt like I had no power and walked some sections that I normally run.
Is this normal after a race? Even such a short one? Normally I'm feeling fine 2 or at most 3 days after even a long (for me) run
 Radioactiveman 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home:

first fell race I did I couldnt walk without crying for a week
 Run_Ross_Run 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home:

I wouldve (and did) lay off the running for 2 weeks after my marathon and then i only did some light jogging.

Even though you say it was only a short race i would stay of the runs for a week or so or just do some east light running if youre desperate to get out.
Moley 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home: Completely normal, racing is not the same as training (however hard you train). Many race on the fells every week, or more, but it takes a time to work up to that. Rest the legs on the hills, you'll come round soon enough
 StefanB 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home:

There's nothing unusual about this. Recovery to me is a mystery. Sometimes I recover within 2 days form an ultra and feel fine, other times I feel flat for 2 weeks after a 10k. The only way to deal with it is to take it as it cimes and not overdo it.
OP Alex@home 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home:

thanks all. i guess it comes down to "listen to your body". just annoying when you're body only starts talking when you're miles from home!
 goatee 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home: I don't know if it would work for you but I noticed immediate improvements in my recovery times when I started taking whey protien after runs. Maybe its an age thing but perhaps its worth a try.
Moley 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home:
> (In reply to Alex@home)
>
> thanks all. i guess it comes down to "listen to your body". just annoying when you're body only starts talking when you're miles from home!

Exactly, never underestimate what your body is telling you - like a compass bearing it tends to be right, even if you think otherwise!!
 Banned User 77 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Alex@home: yeah.. it takes a while to get race fit.. I remember the first time I did a short UK fell race.. I was in pieces for days afterwards.. now I'm not that much quicker but I can go for a long run the next day..

In many ways shorts can take it out of your legs more than the longs as you can give it your all..
In reply to StefanB:

Agreed. I've done a sixty miler on the fells and been running OK three days later and racing about five days after that. Against that I did a 10k and could hardly walk for a week, and I've done plenty of 10Ks so it wasn't as if I wasn't used to running on roads.

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...