UKC

Patagonia piton hybrid hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 squicky 19 Jan 2013
Does anyone have any experience of one of these? I was shown it today as an alternative to the R1 but the girl in the shop didn't know much about it. It looked pretty good but quite pricey: £160 I think.

http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enGB/product/mens-piton-hybrid-hoody-for-alpine...
 TobyA 19 Jan 2013
In reply to squicky: Patagonia is well into the hybrids - mixing materials this year. I have a RAB shadow hoody which is made of the same windpro material - but ALL of it is. It is excellent material - super breathable - like normal fleece, but very wind resistant. Haven't tried the Piton, but I do wonder how much difference the rather small amount of windpro makes? Would be interested to hear what other say

I think there is a video of their "Ambassadors" raving about it on the Patagonia site, but then they would, wouldn't they?
 JayPee630 19 Jan 2013
In reply to squicky:

AFAIK it's very different to an R1, which is a base/thin midlayer, as it's more of a softshell outer. I suspect the shop assistant didn't know what they were talking about, or were just trying to sell you something.
 TobyA 19 Jan 2013
In reply to JayPee630: It's all fleece. Some smallish sections are wind resistant but that's it. Don't think you'd be able to use it in very bad weather alone as an outer. Are you mixing it up with some of their other new "hybrid" designs? They have a half softshell/half hardshell design for instance.
 JayPee630 19 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Maybe, it just seemed quite different to the R1 to me, much more of an outer, but fair enough if I'm mistaken.
 JayPee630 19 Jan 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

It does say on their website that it good for a mild weather outer? Oh well, who cares really!
 TobyA 19 Jan 2013
In reply to JayPee630: My Shadow can be an excellent outer in cold dry weather (used it XC skiing last weekend; -12 and you need the windproofing when doing XC as you go fast on even slight downhills; but the breathability is excellent for sweating uphill!). But the windpro bits on the Piton are quite small, so its a odd design to my mind. But of course we should hear from someone who has used one!
 butteredfrog 19 Jan 2013
In reply to squicky:

Probably a lot more useful as an outer in alpine summer, than scottish winter. Would imagine its very nicely made being Patagonia. I find Patagonia fleeces last forever.
OP squicky 19 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: haha! No, but I tend to watch those promo videos for the scenery rather than honest opinions. Interestingly, the Rab Shadow is over twice the weight of the Piton (or R1) so maybe that was a big consideration for Patagonia and how much windproof stuff they added.
 TobyA 19 Jan 2013
In reply to squicky:
> Interestingly, the Rab Shadow is over twice the weight of the Piton (or R1)

Yep, I have a the R1 pullover (non-hoody) and the Shadow is noticeably heavier and more bulky when folded up. It does have lots of pockets and stuff though that make it rather usable as an outer layer if conditions are right for it.
 smithaldo 19 Jan 2013
In reply to squicky: bought one and took it straight back. nothing like an r1 hoody, seemed overkill for an underlayer but not right cut for a use alot outerlayer. paid 87 quid in outside but just wasnt for me!
OP squicky 24 Jan 2013
In reply to smithaldo: I took the plunge and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it so far. It has kept me warm on its own when cycling to work (even in -2°C) and I haven't needed to change for climbing or bouldering indoors. Paid £96 at S&R.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...