UKC

Peak District Road Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 19 Jan 2013
How are the roads today?
I've heard the Snake pass is closed, how is the Foxhouse road? Is Winnats Pass open?
 DaveHall246 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
Road from Sheffield to Fox House should be OK - buses are running according to South Yorkshire Travel website http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disruptions.aspx
 Chris the Tall 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
Get on yer bike!

Just about to walk up to the fox house. Road up there looked clear last night when I crossed it on the bike, but doubt it would be passable up to Burbage bridge
 mark20 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
Ringinglow Road is fine as far as the Norfolk Arms, didn't go any further though someone said that its gritted and clear all the way past Burbage and Higgar to Hathersage
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2013
In reply to mark20:
> though someone said that its gritted and clear all the way past Burbage and Higgar to Hathersage

Ringinglow Rd usually only gets gritted up as far as the Norfolk Arms. From there it's only about another 1500m before the road passes into Derbyshire, so the Sheffield gritters definitely wouldn't go beyond that point anyway.

I was up there a couple of hours ago - if it has been gritted further up this time the grit is all buried under an inch or so of compacted snow, slush and ice. Prolly drivable with care and the right kind of vehicle, but I don't think I'd fancy trying to get up there in my van. Overconfident people in 4x4s with wide low-profile tyres on stand a pretty decent chance of embarrassing themselves I would think.

Porter Clough, Lady Canning's Plantation and bits of the Limb Valley are all looking very Narnia at the moment. Quite lovely. Funny as I plodded round to go from complete silence past the odd slope covered in shrieking people playing in the snow with sledges and wotnot and then back into silence again.
 mark20 20 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
Just been up to Burbage N, snowy but OK, people were driving down past Higgar to Hathersage too. But the road to Stanage is 'closed'.
Looks like snow later though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...