UKC

Ben Nevis Solo Climb in HD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climber2011 19 Jan 2013
Hi There,

Check my solo climb out on the Ben couple of days ago, its best seen in HD on decent sized screen.

youtube.com/watch?v=tMSTiAhdlKc&
 chrisprescott 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Was this on Wednesday? Think we bumped into you at the CIC in the morning. Looks like you had a good day!
climber2011 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Hey Matey, aye it was. How did u guys get on?
 Jon Wickham 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Great video, and nice choice of soundtrack. What route were you on?
 Darkskys 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: any chance you can allow this to be on any platform, can't watch it on my iPhone ATM and could really do with some inspiration
Cheers
 chrisprescott 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Had a bit of a none day really, headed up Observatory Gully to have a look at Indicator Wall, but it had a fair bit of questionable snow at the top so we decided to bail up Tower Gully and came back down Number 4. We weren't impressed with how off the weather forecast was!
 Ross McGibbon 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Wickham:

I'm guessing White Line or somewhere near there.
climber2011 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011:Hey Ross,

It could have been, but I thought it was Raeburns easy route. It all needs to settle a bit more I think. Hopefully with a couple freeze/thaw cycles. Darkskys, do I change format or something, I thought everyone can view youtube?
climber2011 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Cheers Jon! Music choice is always a hard one eh.
 Indy 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011:

Won't play on my Nexus 7 saying content owner won't allow it on mobile devices!!
 timjones 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011:

Is it supposed to play at that speed?

If so the idea is great but speeding it up spoils it IMO, it would be better to edit it to show the best bits at the correct speed.
 petestack 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Ross McGibbon:
> I'm guessing White Line

When (according to your logbook) you've *done* White Line, Ross?

> or somewhere near there.

Yep, somewhere near there.

In reply to climber2011:
> It could have been

No, it couldn't (really couldn't) because White Line's a big III (and probably undergraded at that) with several significant ice pitches...

> but I thought it was Raeburns easy route.

Which I haven't done, but seems to fit.
 ablackett 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Couple of questions.

Why do you put a disclaimer describing how dangerous solo climbing is at the start and in the description of the video? Are you worried about being sued by people copying you?

How experienced are you? Before I got on a route solo on Ben Nevis I would want to know exactly what the route was, what grade it was and what I was expecting. Are you good enough that these details don't matter?

Also, if you want it to play on all platforms, mobile devices etc you need to change the music. I had the same problem, ended up using something off here, http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/ as it is all free.

Darkskys 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Cracking vid, ended up having a mooch at it on my Mac! Quality vid loved what you've done with the GoPro too (assuming thats what you used to film).

How did you set it up at the top of the pole you used? Did you make your own clamp for it?
climber2011 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Just put the piece together the other night, Im not computer savvy Bud, cheers for headsup on the, "how to change format". Need to learn how to compress files as it took far too long to upload! There are bits where it would of been better to slow it down. HD is pretty awesome though eh!

I knew roughly wear I was, but not %100 sure. And weather and conditions seemed good. I like a little element of risk factor.

I put the disclaimer as more of a warning to someone that doesnt really have a clue. You never know these days. A bit like the start of a Jackass video.
 Ross McGibbon 19 Jan 2013
In reply to petestack:
> (In reply to Ross McGibbon)

> When (according to your logbook) you've *done* White Line, Ross?

I blame old age. I can barely remember what I did last week. Ask my climbing partner.....

> No, it couldn't (really couldn't) because White Line's a big III (and probably undergraded at that) with several significant ice pitches...

Nah, it really isn't harder than III. I don't remember much but I remember I wasn't scared at any point so it can't have been IV!
>
Raeburns
> Which I haven't done, but seems to fit.

Didn't seem to be from quite the right angle. Not done it myself but the ending didn't seem right. I remember some Spaniards finding it to be heavily corniced.

Whatever, cheers for the video. Off climbing in the morning - sans video cam.

climber2011 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Hey Darksky,
Yeah it was a Gopro. I used the bike mount clamp, that you can pick up for around £5 or make ur you could easily make one. Used neoprene to help with the grip to pole.

In hind sight, I should of mounted pole directly on the outer face of bag.
As it was pretty annoying having to constantly adjust. And about halfway through needed to change to helmet mount as pole really restricted movement.

Gonna maybe try a wrist mount next time.
Even though the last couple of minutes are difficult to see, looking back at video I hope it kind of captures how much one just wants to get over that cornice. It was gettin pumpy. Is that even a word? Lol. Cheers!!
climber007 19 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: How did you get down? What equipment were you using?
 fire_munki 21 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011:
That looks great, exposure looked crazy to me.
Got me excited for February and scared in equal measures!
In reply to climber2011: Nice video!
 John Workman 22 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011:

Sorry to be negative and contrary to the votes for, I thought the video was pretty poor. Too much of the same thing. I've watched a coat of emulsion dry and enjoyed it more.

I have a helmet cam too and I've used it on three winter routes so far. For those of you not in the know, they give some very deceiving angles and what might look really steep in truth isn't. I also didn't like the stick through the centre of all the approach shots.The speed had its good and bad points. It didn't make it more watchable but it did get it over with fairly quickly but even at that I was fast forwarding some bits.

My own stuff isn't alot better I have to admit, and I wouldn't post it on here for general consumption.
 Robert Durran 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Workman:
> (In reply to climber2011)
>
> Sorry to be negative and contrary to the votes for, I thought the video was pretty poor.

Yes, these helmet mounted cameras invariably produce irritating rubbish. I really don't know why people bother. Just my opinion.

And they make people look right knobs. Also just my opinion.
climber2011 23 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Cheers for the comments, John and Robert. I will take what you mention onboard and try and produce more quality videos next time. You liked the music though eh!? Lol
 Milesy 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Struggle with technology do we?
 Robert Durran 23 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011:
> (In reply to climber2011) Cheers for the comments, John and Robert.

Sorry. I was a bit too harsh. And I had just seen people using a headcam at an indoor wall, which I thought a bit ridiculous!

More seriously, I think the real place of a headcam in climbing is to film a climbing partner while belaying and there are really excellently edited examples of this. Self filming with the camera bobbing all over the place just doesn't work in my opinion.
 Robert Durran 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Struggle with technology do we?

Yes. But what is your point?

climber2011 23 Jan 2013
In reply to climber2011: Again cheers for even bothering to comment guys, It really was just put together quickly and was the first time Id used the camera in this method. I get out on the hills a couple of times a year, so was just sharing my experience with everyone. As most of us do these days. It is a long clip, but I was limited to ways of capturing it being solo. There is no faulting the GoPro though, which is an excellent bit of kit. And viewed in HD, the quality of the picture is second to none.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...