UKC

Mam Tor/ Back Tor/ Alport Castles conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Botion 19 Jan 2013
Hello. Does anyone know what the condition of Mam Tor/ Back Tor or Alport Castles is? Hoping for it to be a bit more frozen than it was on Wednesday afternoon on Mam Tor- it was around -5 on Bleaklow today.
Considering heading out tomorrow if it is.

Thanks in advance.
 robandian 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson: MamTor gully today had a thin covering of powder with a bit of ice and frozen turf - bits of sleet coming down all day and the top was very, very raw.
 Danzig 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson: Thinking of a wander in the dark peak tomorrow myself-how was Bleaklow? Much powder about?
 ffdalton 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson: mam tor very powdery on the mam nick side. Not consolidated, around 2ft deep on the upper reaches, very difficult for upward movement.
OP Botion 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Danzig:
> (In reply to Bo Robertson) Thinking of a wander in the dark peak tomorrow myself-how was Bleaklow? Much powder about?

Bleaklow was magnificent today, hardly anyone up there and pretty wild with the wind, snow and fog. There's around 5-20cm general cover, with some big drifts and filled in paths and groughs where the snow is starting to firm up. Getting about is a bit slower than usual, but well worth it.
 smithaldo 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson:as of thurs night back tor gully isn't frozen turf just seemed really dry somehow? climbable quite easily but wouldnt want to be on anything steeper as it would be dangerous.
 alasdair19 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson: is the snow drifted enought to ski about?
 Al Evans 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson: Strangely though living in the Peak most of my life I have never winter climbed on Alport Castles, though aware of the possibilities. I did once climb on it in summer to a Ravens nest for a Sheffield Ornithological group to count the eggs (there were four) some hatched not sure how many.
Are there designated winter climbs? I mean particular lines that come into condition? Has anybody winter climbed on there? There could be some fierce routes given the right conditions, mixtures of snow,ice,turf and dry tooling.
In reply to Bo Robertson: Best advice is to buy Over The Moors which gives very specific information on the right conditions for Mam Tor, as well as some sage advice about avoiding trouble.

Alport is great for saome serious play, but the same conditions are needed for that as for Mam Tor.

You could always try Dovestones Quarries for some multipitch mixed fun.

Nath 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bo Robertson: Are any of these still in Condition, have a pass out for the weekend

If not here anywhere else in the peak where i might bag some winter fun?

Fingers and everything else crossed

Nath B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...