UKC

Old Salewa crampons: any ideas for replacing straps+buckles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 billyf 20 Jan 2013
I have inherited some vintage Salewa in-step crampons:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81887990@N05/8397309341

The points are still pretty sharp but the 'Arno' buckles are a bit rubbish: they often work their way loose, clog with ice and are fiddly to fit and remove.

Anyone got any good suggestions for how to replace the straps and buckles with something more secure and less fiddly?
 Jon Wickham 20 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf: To be honest, unless you are using these just for simple strolls on flat, icy paths (i.e. not on the hills) then I would suggest buying a modern pair as these don't look very usable, particularly with loose buckles. Modern crampons (when fitted properly) will be easy to put on, stay attached, prevent snow clogging the points and provide vastly more security than these things can.
 Bruce Hooker 20 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:

These are not climbing crampons really, they are for strolling down an icy pavement. Even 40 years ago Salewa made proper front point crampons which are still quite usable today on general mountaineering, but what you have inherited are no good for climbing at all... sorry!
 JayPee630 20 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:

As the others say, those are no good, get rid of them!
 Timmd 20 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:

Assuming you already know they're not actually good for climbing in, but would be okay for winter hill walking as opposed to mountaineering, do the straps just loop through?
 JimmAwelon 20 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:

Needle sports list Grivel and Stubai replacement crampon straps for less than 10 pounds. The Stubai ones have a similar buckle to your existing but the Grivel ones have their double rings which I'd favour.

Of course they should only be reserved for emergencies when winter hillwalking and perhaps glaciated approaches to summer rockclimbs but at least they will stay on with some new straps.
 Howard J 21 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:
I've just dusted off my old Salewas - these are 'proper' 12 point crampons, and I'm planning to use them with my walking boots (which my Grivels won't fit onto), for the times when I don't want to be tramping around all day in stiff B2s on the off-chance that I might want to wear crampons for 10 minutes.

I seem to be taking bigger boots than when I last wore them, and the straps are now a bit short. Does anyone still sell the French-style ring bindings?
OP billyf 21 Jan 2013
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

@Timmd: Yep, I'm wanting to invest in some winter boots and full-length crampons soon but would like to keep the in-steps for contingency use. Yes, the straps presently just feed through continuous loops on both sides of the crampons.

@JimmAwelon: Cheers for spotting the spare straps on NS. Can't immediately see how the double-rings would be better than the Stubai buckles but will take your word for it.
 wilkie14c 21 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:
The Grivel double ring straps are the best out there as anyone with G10, 12, 14, 20s etc will testify. Easy to do up, very easy to remove and they stay put.
 Jamie B 21 Jan 2013
In reply to billyf:

> would like to keep the in-steps for contingency use.

What sort of contingencies did you have in mind? Having to walk down an icy pavement?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...