UKC

Jetboil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cadairmanuk 20 Jan 2013
Hi people. I'm after some advise on the old jet boils? I'm looking to purchase one , but which one? I'm looking a just boiling water quickly for dried food and coffee. Going to use in Scotland next month maybe in a bothy stay over and then general back backing. Main issues is small and light I guess as I may have climbing gear , harness rope blar blar on some trips.

What's your thoughts

Ben
 OldProfile 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

I've got the cheapest one, the Zip. It does the job perfectly, although if I hadn't got this one so cheap I'd look at the next one up for the push button ignition, it can be a pain in the arse lighting it with a fire stick or lighter if its cold/raining/you've lost your fire stick and lighter.

If you can afford the extra few quid go for the Flash.
 BB95 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

Hi Ben,

I have got the flash, like the other fella said its really worth the extra few quid. Push button ignition is good. Also the flash comes with some tweaks that makes it easier, more practical and safer. The Flash has a heat monitor on the side of the sleeve that turns yellow when boiling meaning you can leave it whilst setting up your bed or preparing food ext but still keep an eye on it from a distance. Also the flame adjuster is longer meaning easier use with gloves and is also safer if the jetboil boils over! Just be really careful with a jet boil when cooking food, gets hot so fast it burns really easy! Super for army ration packs though because you can just chuck one in and eat from the packet saving dishes and leaving you hot water for a brew (2 birds with one stone). Bare in mind not the lightest but they are a self contained unit that saves space.

Hope this helps!

Bob
 cat88 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: I also use the flash as i got a few burnt fingers with the older style!
 snoop6060 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

get the flash, if you find a decent deal gooutdoors will price match. I got mine for £50 this way. Absolutely perfect if all you want is hot water. I mainly use mine for bouldering, it can fit a small brew kit in the top, so you've a hot brew in a few mins. Much better than a flask.
ice.solo 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

Flash is fine for one person, summer or overnight.
Get the sumo if youre melting snow or two or more people. Much more efficient.
 droites 20 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I have the original. Great piece of kit. Recently got a sumo cup and its awesome for two people and melting snow.
ice.solo 20 Jan 2013
In reply to droites:

yeah, its a good set up.
and you can fit the larger 250g cannisters inside too, which is a bit more winter oriented.

no stove rigs for hanging better too.
OP Cadairmanuk 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

Thanks guys normally just cooking for one so flash it is.

Ben
 smithtom82 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

i would keep the gas and the burner in your sleeping bag overnight otherwise it will be an arse to get going in the morning!
 TobyA 21 Jan 2013
In reply to smithtom82:
> and the burner in your sleeping bag overnight otherwise it will be an arse to get going in the morning!

Why the burner? I keep gas cylinders in my bag but can't see why you need to keep the burner in there as well.

kbow265 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: Borrowed one for a winter outing in the Cairngorms, you just need to be careful as if you get the neoprene outer wet it can slide down and start to smoulder, which damages the temperature scale and leaves sticky neoprene residue on the bottom of the cup.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...