UKC

hydraulic disc brakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Jan 2013
hi all,got a new bike today and when got home found the rear wheel is rubbing slightly on the disc brakes. never used these before and struggling to find anything on tinternet ref adjusting said brakes,so anyone here got experience of this problem please? cheers.
 cliff shasby 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo: sometimes there are very thin shims on the mounts where the disk caliper bolts on if so re-arrange these...
 Boogs 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo:

Do you mean the Disc ( Rotor ) is rubbing on the pads ? If so you could try removing the back wheel and pushing the pads & calipers apart ( with a flat knife ) then realign the wheel being careful when putting it back in . Give it a spin ( with bike upside down ) to see if still rubbing before tightening . Usually works .

Depends on the type of brake, but typically:

1. the rotor/disc is not true. If the disc is only rubbing intermittently that's the problem. Find where the rub is and you can bend it back into shape using a special tool, or an adjustable spanner. You can do it by hand but DON'T touch the disc, use gloves or a cloth, as oil from your fingers can get on the disc and reduce braking power.

2. the calipers aren't centered properly. There are two allen bolts either end of the caliper holding the unit to the frame. Loosen these a bit until the caliper is free to 'wiggle'. Pull on the brake levers so that the caliper is locked firm against the disc, and tighten the bolts back up.

Usually one or both of these actions will sort the problem out, but the most important thing is to get the discs true. No amount of adjustment will get it 'rub free' with a wobbly disc.
Removed User 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo: thanks for the quick responses,will try those things suggested tomorrow, cheers
 Bloodfire 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo: If the bike is new, then firstly I'd take it back to the shop and say "hey, what the heck dude, sort it out!". Failing that, provide some details on the brand of disc brakes as they all adjust slightly differently and I'm sure you'll get your answer.
Removed User 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Bloodfire: yes thought of that just wanted to check if there was a quick answer on here to save me a journey back to the shop and finding out its something really simple, as in me being simple really .
Bimbler 20 Jan 2013

Often they improve once bedded in. You need to generate a couple of heat cycles first. Also some very slight rubbing is pretty normal.
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo: Get it back to where you bought it from, it's their responsibility.
 MHutch 21 Jan 2013

It can be a very quick job to sort, and it's worth learning how, as you may have to do it from time to time. Bike upside down, get the right size of allen key to very slightly loosen the bolts holding the disk brake caliper onto the frame or the u-shaped adapter attached to the frame. There should be a bit of side-to-side play in this.

With you eye directly above it, gently spin the wheel - you may be able to see that the gap is less on one side of the rotor than the other, and a tiny repositioning of the caliper to centre it may eliminate the rotor rub.

If it can't be sorted that way, or it's a warped rotor, the shop needs to sort it for you.

Just don't do what I did last night when holding he caliper with the wheel rotating and stick your finger through one of the holes in the rotor. That's quite painful. Rotor metal is very sharp...
 MHutch 21 Jan 2013
In reply to MHutch:

To clarify, adjust the bolts holding the caliper onto the adapter rather than the adapter onto the frame.
 ChrisJD 21 Jan 2013

I the bike is new and you are not bike-minded, then I'd advise not trying to adjust the set-up, you could well cause more problems.

I'd let them bed in a bit (new pads & disk can rub a bit) and if the rub persist, then pop it back to where you bought it and have a chat with them.

Bloodfire 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo: Agreed with above. If there is an issue with the brake (warped disc etc) that can't be sorted by adjusting, its better to take it back.

Turn bike upside down and give the wheel a good spin, you should see the rotor spining absolutely true. If it is and you really feel like tinkering with it yourself.

1) find out where its touching from, get a torch to help you.
2) find out (before undoing them) which of the bolts will need to be undone to adjust it in that direction.
3) undo the those bolts until the caliper can be moved, but not so much that its floppy.
4) rotate the wheel checking for rubbing (noise)You can also check this by sliding a paper in the gap too.
5) gradually tighten the bolts carefully and still checking for the rubbing as the caliper may move slightly as you do this or adjust inwards. correct this if necessary as you go on tightening.

If the problem is more serious then this (i.e. rebleeding brake or facing the mounting on the frame) then definitely take it back.

Hope this helps... oh and happy riding!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...