UKC

Tasmania guide books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3 Names 21 Jan 2013
Hi guys

Does anyone have any climbing guides for Tasmania, or know where i
can buy them in the UK

Any help appreciated

Vince
 Morgan Woods 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:

there is quite a lot online here:

http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Climbing+Guides

and these are the books you want:

http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Climb+Tasmania+Guideboo...

easy enough to buy out here if you're visiting.
OP 3 Names 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Cheers Morgs

Ive seen the Sarvo site, I was really after trying to get the guidebooks before I got out
there though

thanks
OP 3 Names 21 Jan 2013

Anybody?
OP 3 Names 21 Jan 2013

at all?

Vince

The most recent guidebook is basically a print out of the TheSarvo database (or theSarvo database at the time of press anyway; there's a lot of new routing activity this summer).

It's possible you could find a hardcopy guidebook in the UK, but I've never seen one.

When are you planning on coming over?
OP 3 Names 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Captain Fastrousers:

Coming over in March for two and a half weeks. Going to be staying in Hobart.

Ill probably just print out the Sarvo topos and then look at guide books when we are there

Really just wanted some guide book inspiration before we left but ho hum. Im sure its all great anyway.

Do you know where the nearest place to Hobart is to get guide books?

Thanks

Vince
 cornishben 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Vince McNally: I've got a Craglets guidebook from my visit out there back in 2004. You're welcome to borrow for inspiration before you go, although it's obviously pretty out of date by now
OP 3 Names 22 Jan 2013
In reply to cornishben:

Hi Ben

just noticed this

Thanks very much for the offer, I'm sorted now though

Many thanks anyhow

Vince

Vince

Tasmania Map Centre on Elizabeth St in Hobart (the main shopping street) sells the theSarvo climbing guide, as well as a bunch of hiking and travel guides.

I live in Hobart; feel free to shoot me an email when you get into town.

Will
OP 3 Names 22 Jan 2013

Thanks for that.

Were staying with friends but will pretty much be up for climbing everyday.

How would you spend 2 weeks climbing in Tas?

Probably not the best person to ask since I've only been here since October, and working hard at that. BUT based on my own investigations and chatter from my climbing partners

1. If you're based in Hobart you'll be doing plenty of stuff on the Organ Pipes/Mt Wellington.

2. Coles Bay /Freycinet has some pretty good granite. A lot of the climbing is runout slabby type of stuff, but not all.

3. A day trip or two to Tasman Peninsula, to check out either Mt Brown or the Wedding Cake. If you go to Fortescue Bay there is of course the Totem Pole (!) and the Candlestick, but a friendlier sea stack experience can be had on the Moai on the other side of Fortescue Bay. Although only an hour from Hobart the walk ins are about an hour, so if you also plan to do the tourist Port Arthur thing it might be worth overnighting at the campground in Fortescue Bay. (It is very pretty)

4. If you get decent weather, some crack climbing at Ben Lomond.

OR

4a (again weather dependent) If you wanted a wilderness climbing experience Frenchman's cap or Geryon in the North-West.

Near Launceston Cataract Gorge is supposed to be pretty nice, but my partners don't rave about it in the same way as the other places I've mentioned.

BTW, it's definitely worth bringing double ropes. Most of the rappel anchors here assume that you have doubles....

Will
OP 3 Names 24 Jan 2013

Thanks very much for the info

Ill drop you an e-mail when we get out there

Vince
 davis 22 Feb 2013
There is an iphone app 2.99$ by thesarvo for Tasmania and it has all the topo and route beta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...