UKC

Crampon Accordions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mmmhumous 21 Jan 2013
I took the opportunity to scratch my shiny new G12’s at the weekend. Was presently surprised how easy the were to walk in. I did have a question though. Are they better with or without the accordions on? A mate claims his G12s ball up more with the accordions on.

Is that’s folks general experience with them?
 Mike00010 21 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Mine definiately drop snow better with the 'accordions' on.

Mike
 CurlyStevo 21 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:
I don't use them as I can't compress the crampons as easily with them on and I don't find them that useful. Apparently if not correctly fitted they can cause the clip on Grivel crampons to open unexpectedly too.
In reply to mmmhumous:

I've never used the accordions on mine, purely because it means they don't pack down quite as small and the bag I put them in can't fit them with accordions on. Balling up isn't an issue for me usually. I suppose different snow types may ball on the accordion (or not) differently.
OP mmmhumous 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Cheers all
 Captain Gear 24 Jan 2013
I've got a pair of brand new Grivel Accordians, that someone can have for £4 posted.

PM me.
 mattrm 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Took mine off at the advice of a BMG and then separately without prompting a MIC said the same to me. Can't tell the difference. I love my G12s tho. Decent weight, good to climb in and fine for walking also.
 Solaris 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mattrm:

Any reasons given for taking them off?
 xplorer 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

The accordion wasn't causing the problem, in fact you help solve the problem by fitting the accordians properly.
In reply to mmmhumous:

I have taken the accordians off all my crampons for ease of folding up and I have notice no difference in balling
 Michael Gordon 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

What a novel idea. I've never thought of taking an accordion with me winter climbing before.
 Brass Nipples 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

I have one crampon with accordion and one without; doesn't make much difference but without easier to compress for crampon bag...
 Craigie17 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Took mine off, mostly for compression, but would be interested to know whether balling up reg bars is a commonly experienced problem? Not one I can ever remember really having - felt a bit like a solution to a problem that didn't really exist to me. Maybe just been lucky to avoid it though
 Mountain Llama 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Ron Walker: nice one! Never had a serious issue with grivel crampons bailing up and viewed the acordian as superfluous and a point of potential corrosion, so never fitted them on my G14s. Having watched the video, IMHO I would view them as a potential serious safety issue.
 Ron Walker 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Despite owning over 12 pairs of Grivel Crampons that are used by clients, I never saw the crampons fall apart or lose their adjustment. However after the introduction of the accordion I saw new crampons fall apart. This happened two or three times just after they were introduced. I also noticed some clients on winter courses seemed to keep getting their crampons out of adjustment. While watching them pack and unpack the crampons I realised why this was now happening.
As I never ever fitted the accordions I initially couldn't understand why this was now happening. However when you fit the accordions wrongly you can see how this can open the adjustment clip, in certain situations.
I think the video shows quite clearly how this can now happen.
Having said all that, I still think the Grivel Newmatic binding and antibot system (without the accordion) is the safest and easiest to use in most situations.
OP mmmhumous 19 Feb 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Just had two days north of the border. Balling wasn't a problem on G12s with or without the accordians, so mine will be staying off (for ease of packing). A guy on borrowed C3s discovered the benefit of anti-balling plates within his first morning on snow: Puting his newly aquired self-arrest skills into practice on a 40° slope prompted him to break out the Duck tape.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...