UKC

Vespa not starting - snow in air intake. Advice please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 21 Jan 2013
Anyone got any wisdom on this: my normally reliable ET2 (50cc Vespa) won't start yesterday or today. I think some of the snow got into the air intake when it was trying to start. It turns over fine but won't kick in. I'm sure the fuel is going in but don't have a spark plug wrench so can't check for spark (will go out and get one later). Any advice without one?
 Scott Quinn 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Houghton: Could always try a hazardous bump start in the snow (Y) can you not put an old plug on the ht lead to check if there is spark coming from coils / stator etc. If it still doesnt start after checking fuel / spark issues i'd try a compression test..maybe the snow/ water has caused internal damage check the book to see what it should be i imagine around 80 / 90
 arctickev 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Houghton:

get a tin of quick start, then spray into the carb.

Will get it going which should then let it burn out any moisture. i'd also spray some wd or other crap like that around the spark plug can which may have ingressed some moisture.
 scott titt 21 Jan 2013
There is a chance the reed valve is frozen shut.
Dirk Didler 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Houghton: Dont know the model but if it has a carb then there should be a drain screw at the bottom of it, turn off fuel from tank-loosen carb screw on bottom of carb and allow to drain. Retighten screw and turn fuel tap back on.
trooperwolfie 22 Jan 2013
its possible the fuel pump has frozen as it has a diagpram in it., as for bumping it, thats a no go as its an auto, if its like a traditional type vespa the air intake is under the seat so should be clear.
 getandy 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Houghton: fill the air intake up with parrafin and light then if the vespa still wont run buy a new one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...