UKC

What's in Rocksalt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rollo 21 Jan 2013
Does rocksalt contain anything other than rocks and salt?

I've eaten rather a lot of it over the past few days....
 tlm 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

are you pregnant?
Bellie 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: Mollasses... apparently. Go inside a hopper and it smells all sweet.

OP Rollo 21 Jan 2013
In reply to tlm: mmmmmm.... just trying to work out the connection here.

But in reply, no.

They've been laying it on thick on the road for the last week, lots of it has ended up in my mouth!
 gethin_allen 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
in some places they spread potassium chloride as well as sodium chloride. I have heard of ethylene glycol being used too, but I wasn't sure about that as it's quite poisonous.
 Timmd 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
> (In reply to tlm) mmmmmm.... just trying to work out the connection here.

Strange cravings + being with child = eating rocksalt. ()
 timjones 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
> Does rocksalt contain anything other than rocks and salt?
>
> I've eaten rather a lot of it over the past few days....

If you're eating it after it's been spread on the road it will contain everything from spilt diesel to essence of dead cat/rat/crow
 toad 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Bellie:
> (In reply to Rollo) Mollasses... apparently. Go inside a hopper and it smells all sweet.

Yep. some areas have problems with sheep on the road 'cos they're eating the salt
 rustynath 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: It contains "ask" backwards...
 efrance24234 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: close your mouth?
 krikoman 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: Rock Salt is just salt,it may have some impurities in it, iron is a common one, which change the colour. But in theory it could have all sorts in it as it comes out of the ground.

Off the road it could well hav edead cat etc in it, I advise not eating it, to quote my daughter, " Keep your big flapping in the wind gob shut"
OP Rollo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to krikoman:
I advise not eating it, to quote my daughter, " Keep your big flapping in the wind gob shut"

I'll try! This is the irony of getting healthy by riding your bike in a busy area.

EeeByGum 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

> They've been laying it on thick on the road for the last week, lots of it has ended up in my mouth!

WTF - do you cycle with your tongue dragging on the ground?
 risby 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: sorry for this most unsatisfactory reply but ... I saw something in the last couple of days that advised dog owners to wash their dogs paws, or at least get them to run though some puddles near home, when the gritters had been about because of something added to the grit which the dogs like but which is toxic to them.

Unfortunately I can't find the reference to check on its provenance.

Anybody else heard about this?
hnmisty 22 Jan 2013
In reply to risby:

Yes, saw someone had posted about this on facebook...according to them it's antifreeze?
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Bellie)
> [...]
>
'cos they're eating the salt

Happens all the time round here... on Winnats pass and the Chatsworth road the cheeky buggers dont even move. I've been known to nudge them out of the way with the car!

The worse was a road I took a few times to come into ffestiniogg where the sheep slept on a very fast country road, probably as it retained heat. I was Colin McCrae-ing it over at 2am, come over the top of a small knoll and was faced with 5 sheep sleeping in front of me... I was inches away from mutton for tea!

OP Rollo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Rollo)
>
> [...]
>
> WTF - do you cycle with your tongue dragging on the ground?

Don't be ridiculous man, I use my tongue to clean the bike afterwards

skarabrae 22 Jan 2013
In reply to hnmisty:
> (In reply to risby)
>
> Yes, saw someone had posted about this on facebook...according to them it's antifreeze?

apparently, cats love the taste of anti freeze, they cant get enough of it, which is unfortunate as its highly toxic to them & causes them long agonising deaths!!
 krikoman 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: It does usually have an anti-caking agent added to it, not anti-freeze!!

"UK salt producers use sodium hexacyanoferrate (II) at a level below 100mg/kg in rock salt for de-icing. The additive has a low toxicity and is an authorised additive under both Food and Animal Feed regulations"

If it wasn't added the salt sticks together in one mahoosive lump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...