UKC

Van conversion deposit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 21 Jan 2013
I am going to be getting our van converted to a camper. No doubt the conversion company will ask for a hefty deposit to order the Reimo roof and RIB rock and roll bed which will take 6 weeks to arrive.

Just got the fear re. if the company goes bust… What happens if the unthinkable happens?!
 3 Names 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus:

Pay with a credit card.
 Swig 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus:

Credit card rather than debit card?
 Swig 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:

Snap
OP Jus 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:

Are you generally complete covered?
 Indy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Swig: if its a Visa debit card then you could do a 'Chargeback' so all wouldn't be lost. Not everyone has a credit card so its worth knowing
OP Jus 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Indy:

cool, thanks.
 balmybaldwin 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus:

Credit card as said, or there are several Escrow services you could probably use if agreed with the company
Sarah G 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus: Buy a caravan.

Sx
Tony Simpson 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus:
What type of van are you having converted.

I work a little with the VW scene and could tell you some of the better and worse converters.

Also you will gain invaluable info on the t4forum with regards most things inc conversion companies.

Hope you enjoy it when finally take delivery.

Oh and why will it take 6 weeks for the top and bed to be delivered? I know these are readily available in the uk and the only thing you should be waiting for is colour matching if your having it sprayed.

I would be worried with the company you are using if they are telling you there is a wait on roofs and beds. Most companies that are good will have a wait to get the work done and it should take upto 6 weeks to do a full conversion.. But not just to get you the products.

Drop me a pm if you want any further advice.

Tony
OP Jus 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Tony Simpson:

have pm'ed you
 Adam Lincoln 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Sarah G:
> (In reply to Jus) Buy a caravan.
>
> Sx

Why? When he has just spent 6 months looking for a van, has bought one, and has it in for conversion. Why would he want to be 'that' prat on the road that slows everyone else down. Good plan.

Sarah G 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
In my experience, it's the motorhomes that are painfully slow and hold everyone up.

Sx
Tony Simpson 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sarah G:

Sarah, but he has not bought a motor home he has van which he will be converting and it is considerably quicker than a lot of cars.

I am sure it may even be changed to a motorcaravan to keep down the insurance costs.

gethin_allen 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus:
Surely if this person is doing this as a professional outfit they will be working on a credit system and therefore won't be paying for it until the end of the month and also, these items are probably not bespoke one off things (the bed definitely isn't) so if they get them in and you leg it they just return the items taking the delivery costs on the chin.

If you are really worried you could go as far as ordering the items yourself on your credit card and having them delivered to the conversion place. That way they belong to you and if the place goes under you get them back and have someone else fit them.

Is the place you are having the work done really that unstable? if they haven't got credit setup with their suppliers I'd take that as a sign of instability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...