UKC

What's wrong with my internet signal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Hutton 21 Jan 2013
Any IT guys out there that can answer this?

For 2 days now my internet signal has been a bit iffy. I can connect to it on the whole but some sites won't open while others (inc this one) work perfectly. I can stream via iplayer or spotify no problem but can't get into Facebook for example.

Just tried a couple of links from another post - 1 opened and the other didn't?

I have full wifi connection, it's obviously what's coming to the router that is the issue?

This is driving me mad...

Any ideas? Or is anyone else having trouble?

Thanks
 JimboWizbo 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton: Try rebooting the router?
Mr Pinchy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

You could try this to check what your current upload and download speeds are:
http://www.speedtest.net/

Not sure what the cause could be. Although it might be worth trying to see if you can access Facebook from another device e.g. your phone's web browser.

Might be worth calling your broadband provider.
 wilkie14c 21 Jan 2013
In reply to JimboWizbo:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton) Try rebooting the router?

Yea first port of call. Perhaps then try and see if it all works fine while hardwired to it, if all fine there I'd next look at changing the channel the wifi is being broadcast over, perhaps you have a conflict with another nearby router, neighbour etc
OP Tom Hutton 21 Jan 2013
In reply to JimboWizbo:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton) Try rebooting the router?
Have done this a few times now.
In reply to Mr Pinchy:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton)
>
> You could try this to check what your current upload and download speeds are:
> http://www.speedtest.net/
>
> Not sure what the cause could be. Although it might be worth trying to see if you can access Facebook from another device e.g. your phone's web browser.
>
> Might be worth calling your broadband provider.

Tried this and download around 6 and upload around .4? Not sure what these mean though?

Phone works fine with data but same with wifi - missus has same trouble with her lap top and I've tried my lap top too.

It's usually really quick?

In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to JimboWizbo)
> [...]
>
> Yea first port of call. Perhaps then try and see if it all works fine while hardwired to it, if all fine there I'd next look at changing the channel the wifi is being broadcast over, perhaps you have a conflict with another nearby router, neighbour etc

Erm... nearest neighbour is a 10 minute walk away! And the wifi signal is full on all devices. It seems to be what's coming down that signal that is the problem?
 RichardP 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
> (In reply to JimboWizbo)
> [...]
> Have done this a few times now.
have you re-booted your PC?
or used another PC
it maybe an issue with your network settings or your browser.

next drop to a command prompt and ping facebook

come back if you don't know how to ping a website
 Philip 21 Jan 2013
Sounds like DNS problems.

You could log in to your router and change the DNS settings to use Google's freely available DNS on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
In reply to Tom Hutton: Richard P and Philip

Sorry, no wouldn't know how to either of those things but have noticed DNS come up in some error messages?
 Philip 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

DNS is like a phonebook. It tells your computer the number of the site you're going to from it's name. If that phonebook has errors then you browser will just hang or present a site not found. I think some of the modern browsers (like Chrome) are a bit more clever about DNS problems then the crappy browsers like Internet Explorer.

But if you can't be bothered to investigate further using google, and are hoping someone on here will just magically fix it, then good luck.
In reply to Philip: Thanks, I was wondering if I was the only one having this trouble for starters. I haven't changed anything and still use the same sites everyday? Whereas the weather's been awful so I wondered if that might affect it in some way. As for google - I can't actually do a search consistently and if I do get results, I struggle to connect to the actual site I want to look at...
 Philip 21 Jan 2013
Who is your provider?
 pog100 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

I had a couple of days of mayhem in my connection over the weekend after years of stability. It was disconnecting and reconnecting on about a 5 minute cycle. The ISP told me it was a copper wire fault i.e. they couldn't do anything about it and to contact BT. It magically cured itself over Saturday night.
I suspect the snow lying may have had something to do with it ... with no evidence whatsoever.
 PeterM 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

Try connecting with an ethernet cable and/or try pinging via the cmd line somewhere like www.google.com
 EeeByGum 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

> Phone works fine with data but same with wifi - missus has same trouble with her lap top and I've tried my lap top too.

I had a problem like this too. It was a combination of a dodgy cable between network router and wifi router and knackered wifi router. New cable and wifi router solved the problem.

You will get differing service from sites because different servers will handle dropped packets slightly differently. I have found Farcebook quite blunt in this department.
In reply to Philip:
> Who is your provider?

BT
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton)
>
> Try connecting with an ethernet cable and/or try pinging via the cmd line somewhere like www.google.com

Have tried ethernet cable now -still the same but not surprised as wifi signal was full on.
 Deri Jones 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton: Tom - you're up Machynlleth / Mid Wales way are you not? My connection at both home and work has been playing up a lot for the past 2-3 weeks with similar errors. I've tried a variety of routers / switching stuff on and off, with no success, so I have a suspicion it might be at the BT end of stuff as the speed has dropped off a lot as well.
It only seems to drop out for 5-10 min max, then comes back. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can shed any light on it.
 subalpine 21 Jan 2013
In reply to pog100:
>
another dodgy adsl connection here- also suspecting snow involved (but why?)
Wiley Coyote2 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

I had similar problem at a friend's house in Yorks this weekend. My iPad was connecting fine with everything except facebook. Got homew this morning and it went through first time.
In reply to Tom Hutton: even stranger - have reset the channel on the router and FB now works. But UkC isn't! Typed this on my phone... I may be gone for some time...
In reply to Deri Jones: Hi Deri, yes, nearer Aberystwyth really. Just rebooted router again and now have UKC and no FB? I give up...
 subalpine 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton: probably just the state rolling out their snooping charter..
In reply to Tom Hutton:

Here's another possible reason - the MTU of the connection. Check what your router's value is and ensure that it matches that of your ISP. I had a similar problem with my connection a while back and it turned out to be the MTU. Quite how it had changed, I've no idea as it's not on a page of my router's admin pages that I visit.

ALC
 AndyC 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

These symptoms are normally indicative of incompatibility between the MTU (maximum transmisible packet size) detected by the network card/driver in your PC and the actual packet size allowed on the connection from the router to the outside world. Especially if your broadband connection uses PPPoE, the additional overhead will reduce the packet size from the default 1500 bytes - if this is the cause, the question is why it has suddenly changed?

Unless you like to play around at the command prompt level to confirm the problem, your best bet is talk to your ISP and find out if they have changed anything.

AndyC 21 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Damn! Beaten by 60 seconds!
OP Tom Hutton 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton: Thanks to all who offered help. Seems to have been a fault in the extension... doh...
In reply to Tom Hutton:

It's best if you take your ADSL feed from as close to the BT master socket as possible. You can buy replacement faceplates for the master socket that have built-in ADSL and phone sockets so you don't need micro-filters on every extension. They are very easy to fit, unscrew the original and replace with the new one.

ALC
 AndyC 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton) Thanks to all who offered help. Seems to have been a fault in the extension... doh...

Just curious - did you mean extension or exchange? Strange that a problem with an extension would cause some sites to fail while others still worked OK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...