UKC

Koflach Vario problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 21 Jan 2013
I have a pair of these and absolutely love them:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=koflach+vario&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&...

However, the little rubbery green rand (black back section in the photo above) that goes around the boot where the top two lace loops are is splitting. Is it possible to simply replace that only? Because the rest of the boot is in great nick..

GB
 gear boy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: Very doubtful, if the flex cuff plastic is splitting the boot may have had it, I dont know how old your varios are, but before oyu bother searching out a repair, check strength integrity of boot by sticking shell in the freezer overnight and then hit it with a hammer, if boot cracks, you needed new boots anyway, if not, boot OK look for repair,

Where is it cracking/splitting? you wont get a spare part, but could repair, or even fing a donor cuff on ebay or the like, shells and cuffs cover more than one size normally

HTH
OP Chay 24 Jan 2013
In reply to gear boy: Hi,

It's splitting right at the back of the flex cuff, in 5 places...Doubtful that i'll be able to repair, especially given the severity/number of splits. In all honesty, they don't owe me anything...

The plastic shell of the boot looks in good condition but I've never checked that using the freezer method; i'd be weary of any forms of repair because I'll be using them on a long trip with multi camps so the LAST thing i need is to be worrying about my footwear.

GB
 m dunn 24 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: Old plastic Koflach shells (these look quite old) are prone to becoming brittle with age, especially in the cold.
 gear boy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: OK, so cuffs had it, realistically its new boots time, you could freezer test just to satisfy curiosity?.....!-)
 Siward 26 Jan 2013
In reply to gear boy: there's a website, koflach.com, that seems to indicate that they are making their boots again. They might, if your boots survive the freezer test, be able to provide spares.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...