UKC

Helly Hansen base layer "operating temps"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 21 Jan 2013
Silly question but when I got my lifa dry base layer the box had a nice temp range chart does anyone has a picture of it?

Want another top but not sure whether to get a dry or warm one, the website and all shops I've checked online haven't said roughly the temp ranges suitable for them.
 ablackett 21 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: Strikes me as a very silly question. Depends what you are doing and what else you have on top of it.

Winter - get a think one and put other layers on top of it, or get a thin one and put more layers on top of it.

Summer - get a thin one and put less layers on top of it.

If you are running up a hill in a thin base layer in middle of winter you might be ok. But if you are standing in a howling gale belaying in summer no thickness of base layer is going to do it.
OP fire_munki 21 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki:
It will be as part of a layer system however the chart was fairly useful.

At very least it gives me a clue with what to start out with, once i've got base layer, fleece, soft shell and then hard shell there are no more layers so having a warmer base would have been nice.

It will be for Scotland in a week or so.
Little Dave of Sheffield 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I am sure the Lifa dry are rated as +15 to -15 although you can only really go on your own thermometer
 Sharp 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: In all honesty, selling these things, the chart is f*cking useless. They'd be much better putting a sizing guide on it but hey ho, who knows what goes through these marketing guys minds?

The warm ones are suitable for anything other than summer running or wearing on a hot day. Mine gets worn spring/autumn quite reguarly. The summer ones are imo overpriced and make you look like a tw*t if you don't have anything on over the top of them (or have a body like a greek god). Lifa was and is good but isn't any better than the cheaper alternatives.
 Sharp 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: Also if you're up for the week you'll stink in a dry one so you'll either need more than one or to wash them reguarly, you'll just need one warm one and you'll be fine all week.
 neuromancer 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Sharp:

It's the best polypro mesh (unless we're talking brynje or other deviant activities), it's pretty cheap, it has cool stripes, what's not to love?

The warm ones (if you don't run ludicrously cold, like Ben here) are very warm. They aren't high pile fleece, but I couldn't wear one outside of winter, even on its own. I generally climb in just the summer one or the summer one and a tshirt in autumn or spring, with something to put on at a belay.
 neuromancer 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Little Dave of Sheffield:

My feelings as someone who runs reasonably warm in his core is that this is right.

With fair layering, I don't think I'd be reaching for my warm until it was below/around about -10. By this I mean I'd prefer to swap for the warm than swap a high pile fleece for my powerstretch, and I don't think I'd need both until way in the minus.

This is of course assuming you have appropriate insulation for when you stop, but that's not the baselayers job.
OP fire_munki 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki:
Have one dry already, with a light weight fleeces, Rab Baltoro soft shell and Mountain Hardware goretex to go over.

Think that should do so will order another dry.
 TobyA 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I'd just go for the basic one. I've got three varying from over 20 years old to about 5. They've been used for everything down the years, and I think are still the best bases I've used for "fast" sports where I get sweaty. Prefer thin merino now for winter climbing but mainly just because it doesn't stink like lifa does after a day of use! But I'd just get the light one and you can use it for everything, summer and winter. Once you have a few layers over them, I'm unconvinced different base layer weights make much difference.
Little Dave of Sheffield 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: Have been on Mam Tor today wearing my Lifa dry a mh monkey light light and my gore-tex and was toasty if not a little too warm :-
 Mountain Llama 22 Jan 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I agree with Toby. I have used the basic long sleeve T and boxers for years for running, summer alps, scottish winter, uk multi-pitch etc. I run hot so they seem to work very well for me and a thicker base layer would have me pouring with swet on the walk-in!

Very effective as part of a layering system.

HTH Davey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...