UKC

Defication at the Roaches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Newmills Nich 21 Jan 2013
So.. after many years climbing and spending a lot of time in the Peak District I went back to the Roaches on Sunday 13th Jan to do some classic routes with a friend who is beginning to enjoy the great experience that is gritstone..The day was beautiful, the sun delightful set against a backdrop of glisten rock..Hen Cloud looked magnificent.. a collection of boulderers were launching themselves at the problems scattered beneath The Sloth.. my friend and I set off on Pedestal Route.. we laughed as we climbed..enjoying the moment, the chilled air was crisp as the sun began to drop down to the horizon.. I pulled over the top to think about the belay when...there in front of me.. to my wretching body and gagging reflex was the most disgusting dump of human excrement.. a pile of s^^t covered in a delicate coating of toilet paper.. Yes I couldn't believe that some disgusting, tatty Ba*****d had taken it upon themselves to deliver a dump on the stance.. Yes I know people dump in places..the Alps, the Himalayas and Stanage boulders!!! But never so close to the top of a route...a foot to the right of the exit point and in line with a key belay point... I spent the next 15 mins perched precariously over the dump with all the effort of belaying focussed on not dropping the rope in to the human waste..trying not to inhale...So if you know the tatty B*****d that soiled the rock and thought it was funny.. be it walker, climber or person of little brain.. please tell them that IT'S JUST NOT FUNNY!!! I hope something unpleasant happens to their being.. the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits or they gain a painful condition of PILES..
Ahh feel better..rant over..
Try to avoid the route for a while...the steaming poo may now be frozen.. however..worse still it may turn to slush..and the brown run off be confused for soil by anyone ascending unbeknowing of what lies above..
 MikeLell 21 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich: Looks like we could be dealing with a serial sh**er. I found one a the top of Flying Buttress on Dinas Cromlech a few years back and someone else mentioned a turd at the top out of Point 5 Gully. He certainly seeks out the classic spots for his dirty doings!
 don macb 22 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:

ah yes... the serial dumpster.

IIRC: a UKC poster had a german team in the frame for the dump on the agag's groove belay in march last year, based on spotting said team on the route ahead of them, then observing their behaviour in the clachaig afterwards, apparently.

perhaps they're back on tour...
 silhouette 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich: For a moment I though Doug had been sanctified by the Pope but that's deification (perhaps not - I guess a deity is not the same as a saint). I think you mean defecation don't you?
 kwoods 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich: Thats funny, someone posted a thread about the taking of a dump at the top of routes a few days ago before pulling it minutes later!
 Tom Valentine 22 Jan 2013
In reply to silhouette:

Never seen a saint wielding an axe before.
 Al Evans 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich: But what do you do on moanraineering routes. I was caught short on the Gervasutti Pilland had to travers off route a bit and drop it down a crack. And don't say bag it and carry it out because ona multi day route that could get ridiculous, especially if you are in the Himalaya and have got diarhea. The only answer is use your brain and make it as unnoticeable as possible to anyone likely to come close to the spot.
 Al Evans 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Sorry that should say 'mountaineering routes'
 Rollo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich: Did you not get rid of it??
Simon_Sheff 22 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:
> (In reply to JimNich) Looks like we could be dealing with a serial sh**er. I found one a the top of Flying Buttress on Dinas Cromlech a few years back and someone else mentioned a turd at the top out of Point 5 Gully. He certainly seeks out the classic spots for his dirty doings!

He must be continental. I seen his shit at Fontainebleau as well.
 toad 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: although moan-rain eering does sum up Scottish summer mountaineering rather well
 toad 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to silhouette)
>
>
> Never seen a saint wielding an axe before.

what about the Gherkin?
 bpmclimb 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich:

Sorry to be a spelling bore; I'm just interested rather than trying to score points. Your thread title caught my eye, so I looked it up.

Feces, faeces, and a third spelling with that funny a and e crushed together are all correct, apparently. The verb from that noun is defecate, but some people mistakenly spell it defacate. The verb from the noun is defecation, not defacation - again, quite common but wrong. Defication is definitely right out

pasbury 22 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:

Very strange - I generally need a shit at the bottom of routes.
Simon_Sheff 22 Jan 2013
In reply to pasbury:
> (In reply to MikeLell)
>
> Very strange - I generally need a shit at the bottom of routes.

DO U USE A POO CHUTE? I DO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7105454.stm
 MHutch 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Doesn't look very easy to pack.
 FH1920 22 Jan 2013
In reply to pasbury:
> (In reply to MikeLell)
>
> Very strange - I generally need a shit at the bottom of routes.

Funny, I usually need one at or around the crux.
 Trangia 22 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:

I've come across the trail of the cereal shitter more than once in my wanderings. He/she seems to thrive on muesli or jumbo oat porridge....
 Run_Ross_Run 22 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:
> (In reply to JimNich) Looks like we could be dealing with a serial sh**er. I found one a the top of Flying Buttress on Dinas Cromlech a few years

Saw similar on F B. Top of the 1st pitch, right in the belay. How nice of them.

Dave Garnett 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:
> (In reply to pasbury)
> [...]
>
> DO U USE A POO CHUTE? I DO
>

In New Zealand they has this neat little trowel marketed as, wait for it...

the iPoo

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich:

Defication? I can't place it, somewhere near Crenellation presumably?

Chris
 mcdougal 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Defication VS 4b 0.1m
Ascend the sticky brown tufa trying not to get any on your shoes
 Cornish Cream 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

You've found the brown circuit then...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jan 2013
In reply to mcdougal:
>
>
> Defication VS 4b 0.1m
> Ascend the sticky brown tufa trying not to get any on your shoes

Of course, I was getting it mixed up with Constipation on Stanage which is altogether a much stiffer problem.

Chris
 Marcus Tierney 22 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich:
I think this persons been at it for years i pulled over the 'crux' of Troutdale pinnacle many years ago to find myself looking into a Mr Whippy!
Simon_Sheff 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Marcus Tierney:
> (In reply to JimNich)
> I think this persons been at it for years i pulled over the 'crux' of Troutdale pinnacle many years ago to find myself looking into a Mr Whippy!

Chocolate I assume.......
Simon_Sheff 23 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:
> (In reply to JimNich) Looks like we could be dealing with a serial sh**er. I found one a the top of Flying Buttress on Dinas Cromlech a few years back and someone else mentioned a turd at the top out of Point 5 Gully. He certainly seeks out the classic spots for his dirty doings!

I think he flies a cargo plane out of hong kong
 Rob Naylor 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Marcus Tierney:

Same on the stance at the top of the second pitch of Rowan Route in Wales a few years back.
 roddyp 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Looks like Apple threatened to sue them.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/22/ipood/

Although the phrase "look and feel" in this context reminds me of a very old joke...
 Nigel Thomson 24 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich: I always remember an ad in the lost and found section of Climber and Hillwalker which read: FOUND: One squashy brown turd on the top holds of January Jigsaw, Rannoch Wall. Would the owner please contact me at the address below for it's safe return and facial rearrangement!!
 krikoman 24 Jan 2013
In reply to roddyp: They should change it to the "Ishat"
needvert 25 Jan 2013
Disgusting.
 hokkyokusei 25 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Simon_Sheff)
> [...]
>
> In New Zealand they has this neat little trowel marketed as, wait for it...
>
> the iPoo

I think it's 'iPood' i've got one, somewhere.
 Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yes, blame my iPhone keyboard... unless it's Apple's imbedded trademark infringement software at work.

Definitely still on sale as of about three weeks ago.
 deepsoup 25 Jan 2013
But now (officially at least) called the "Pocket Trowel", after the inevitable involvement of Apples non-embedden trademark infringement lawyers. Big yawn. http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/60

Seems a tad expensive for what it is.
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I've had a sh*t down a crevasse before now, don't think those are going to re-emerge anytime soon.

When we did the N ridge of the Chardonnet someone had done the business on
absolutely the highest point - the dirty little sod.

But nothing could be worse than Buoux in the late 80s - every ledge, every cave, every path, every tree had piles of cr*p and paper. Extraordinarily horrible.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
>
>
> But nothing could be worse than Buoux in the late 80s - every ledge, every cave, every path, every tree had piles of cr*p and paper. Extraordinarily horrible.

Snells' Field, mid-1970s - it was OK at the start of the season but as time progressed you had to delve ever deeper into the wood to find a tree without a mini-Matterhorn behind it.
No wonder they closed the place!

Chris
 Fat Bumbly2 25 Jan 2013
At first, I read that as Deification. I thought that they started worshiping Doug!
 pog100 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

If you read the thread you will find that someone cracked this one at 10.24 on Tuesday ......
 davidj 27 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich:

As we are on the subject of defectation at the Roaches, I'm reminded of this video...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=63255
 tallsop 27 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeLell:
>. He certainly seeks out the classic spots for his dirty doings!

Funny how we're assuming the poo bandito is a bloke, girls can be filthy buggers too!

tommycoopersghost 29 Jan 2013
In reply to JimNich:

type fairy cave quarry into you tube. There's a brilliant video of someone up an E4 who is unsure if they've shit themselves mid route.

Rather than emptying it on the crag, he points out, just tighten your leg loops. Class

makes i chuckle anyway
tommycoopersghost 29 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG8uBkKONKE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

think that's the direct link to video. Stick with it til the end, it's worth it
Hirosim 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:
> (In reply to MikeLell)
> [...]
>
>
> I think he flies a cargo plane out of hong kong

lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...