UKC

NW conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 markharro 21 Jan 2013
Does anyone know what the medium to high level gully climbs are likely to be like in the NW ie what is the snow level and is there likely to be the same sort of avalanche hazard on northern aspects that we have sadly seen in Glencoe in the last few days?
 Michael Gordon 22 Jan 2013
In reply to markharro:

From what I've seen (Torridon area) the slopes are generally quite safe as there isn't a great deal of snow, however there was evidence of a slabby crust on some of the snow so localised areas (some easy gullies) might pose some risk. I don't think gullies would be great just now anyway. There isn't neve in the easier gullies while the ice isn't good or complete enough yet in the harder gullies.
 DaveHK 22 Jan 2013
In reply to markharro:

North Gully on Sgor Ruadh was full of the hardest windslab I've seen on Sunday. We managed to stay on the turf and rock at the edge to access Tango in the Night safely but I wouldn't have wanted to be out on an open slope on that stuff.

Because of the changing winds the distribution of windslab is very unpredictable and there is highly localised heavy loading.

Also, North Gully was only just complete.
In reply to markharro: Quick hijack: Much snow about in the Glen Shiel hills, anyone know?
 Jamie Hageman 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Drove back through Glen Shiel on Sunday evening - plenty of snow about and the glen always looks so inviting. The high winds have scoured some parts, and drifted snow into other parts. What ya doing?
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Thanks Jamie. Ridges is the plan. Forcan etc
OP markharro 22 Jan 2013
In reply to markharro: thanks for the replies...just wonder if the east facing Coire Ghranda on B Dearg might be an option?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...