/ Fontainebleau, 3rd-7th February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JonathonHardman - on 22 Jan 2013
Due to a lack of general enthusiasm from my usual climbing group and 8 days off at the beginning of February, I was planning on travelling to Fontainebleau solo on the dates listed in the title.

Basically, I was wondering whether anyone else may be travelling there around this time and, as it's my first time, if anyone had any tips in regards to the best location to camp and meet other climbers. I was planning on basing myself in Rocher Canon as I will be travelling by train and will not have a car whilst there.

Thanks in advance!
Jonny
craig1983 - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Jhardman:

Not sure there are any campsites within easy walking distance of Rocher Canon....unless you're wild camping, which I think is frowned upon.
JonathonHardman - on 22 Jan 2013
Ah, well, I only mentioned Rocher de Canon as I remember it being suggested as a good base for people without a car, I'd certainly be open to any other recommendations.
fried - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Jhardman:

I don't believe that there's any camping near the forest that's open in February. possibly the free bivouac just North of Bourron-Marlotte for access to Restant du longue rocher which isn't the quickest drying sector.

You won't meet many other climbers 'cos no one else will be daft enough to be camping in February:). Better to wait until the end of March I'd say. Not sure when la Musardiere opens.
craig1983 - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Jhardman:

Search for the campsite at Milly-la-ForÍt...Trois Pignons is within walking distance from that...not the cheapest of campsites tho!
fried - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Jhardman:

La Musardiere opens on the 15th Feb.
Bruce Hooker - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Jhardman:

There's a good cave you can bivvy in at the Rocher Canon, just follow the blue path from the main climbing area South towards the actual Rocher Canon itself (a big rock that is supposed to look like a canon). There are several spots there but frankly, unless the weather does something very special very quickly it would be a pretty miserable place to watch the snow melting from :-) It would toughen you up I suppose.
mikestr555 on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Jhardman:
Hi not sure if you're going to get this but I am in area so will look out fir you I am in a red belingo have fun and how you got a good sleeping bag as 0 last night

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.