UKC

Iggy vs keith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ice.solo 23 Jan 2013
Who is more nails, who will die first, how will they go?

I vote iggys more nails, but keith will go first from the ciggies.
But im open to other opinions.
 PeterM 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

>
> I vote iggys more nails, but keith will go first from the ciggies.

Hard to argue against that...easily Iggy over Keef
Pinged 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Great question...I reckon Keith is more nails TBH. Mainly because he's never appeared in puppet form to advertise some crap.

I dont think either of them will ever die. They'll just slowly desiccate until they become the dust of Rock N Roll
 toad 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I thought they both died years ago and were now just dessicated living corpses

Keith Richards:

http://quietroomentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/1932_Mummy_img...
 graeme jackson 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinged:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
>
> Great question...I reckon Keith is more nails TBH. Mainly because he's never appeared in puppet form to advertise some crap.
>
No, but he did sell his soul to Disney so he could pretend to be a pirate.
 thin bob 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
I'll chuck Lemmy & Jet Black/Hugh Cornwall into the mix.....and then suggest Vera Lynn
 toad 23 Jan 2013
In reply to thin bob: Justin Sullivan has a picture of a raddled old crusty in his attic, I'm sure of it
 Ramblin dave 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Don't forget that Keith cannot be killed by conventional weapons...
 The Pylon King 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Iggy is the man.
 sbc_10 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:

Iggy has the physique of a wrought iron barbeque covered in tissue paper...
Keith looks like my granny....
 Dauphin 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Keith is a reptile; he will snort Iggys remains after Iggy sets himself on fire in a kitchen appliance tragedy while freebasing cocaine / smoothy making. It could have happened to any one of us. Shudder.

D
 Yanis Nayu 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> Who is more nails, who will die first, how will they go?

Don't know, don't care, don't know or care.

I find the hero worship of people like this strange.
 PeterM 23 Jan 2013

...plus I'd take the Stooges over the Stones anyday...
 sbc_10 23 Jan 2013
> ...plus I'd take the Stooges over the Stones anyday...

Fight, Fight !!!......Motorhead vs Led Zepplin.....
Motorhead would marmalise those wiggy hobbit lovers...

deepsoup 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> Who is more nails

This is like those Bear Grylls vs Ray Mears threads that fail to mention Les Hiddins. The correct answer is Lemmy.
 toad 23 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> This is like those Bear Grylls vs Ray Mears threads that fail to mention Les Hiddins. The correct answer is Lemmy.

The real ones creep up from left field - the correct answer is Danny Thompson (really!)
 deepsoup 23 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:
If you're opening up the field that way, my money is on Tom Jones. (Seems like an unlikely choice, I know.)

The true measure for me isn't what the fans or the critics make of them, or what's said in the newspapers. It's how awe-struck their road crew are when they go on tour. ;O)
 aln 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> Don't know, don't care, don't know or care.
>

Yet you read this thread then replied to it.

Yanis Nayu 23 Jan 2013
In reply to aln: Yep, because I find it odd that they attract a level of hero-worship.
 aln 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity: So you do care?
 fried 23 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
> [...]
>
> The real ones creep up from left field - the correct answer is Danny Thompson (really!)

Or Kevin Ayers.
 John H Bull 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Iggy will be rushed to A&E in extreme pain after getting his knob caught in his zip onstage. He enters last-ditch attempts at pain control using an extreme opiate derivative at doses toxic to normal mortals.

Meanwhile, Keef dies in bed of unknown causes while catching up on some sleep.
tommycoopersghost 23 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Are those two still alive? They look like extras in a George Romero film.
 sbc_10 23 Jan 2013
> Meanwhile, Keef dies in bed of unknown causes while catching up on some sleep.

Surely Keith dies when hit by a TV as he leaves the Las Vegas Hilton...
ice.solo 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> Don't know, don't care, don't know or care.
>
> I find the hero worship of people like this strange.

dont understand...

whos worshipping any anyone? i thought we were poking fun at aging celebrities some of us happen to like the music of.

meanwhile:
lemmy, good call. iggy vs lemmy would be even better. my monies still on iggy tho - when lemmy smothers himself in peanut butter then rolls n broken glass i will concede.

tom jones? good call, but that deserves its own thread. a classier showdown worthy of its own rules. id put him up against dean martin as a fair adversary.

something tells me tom waits should be in here somewhere but im not sure matched to whom. hed probably go better against william burroughs or chuck bukowski in which case its a whole other debate.
In reply to ice.solo: Lemmy is pickled in JD, even if he were to die he would not decompose.
ice.solo 23 Jan 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

i like it: dessication vs pickling.

a new way to classify aging rock stars.
 aln 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Hasn't Iggy been clean sober and a gardening enthusiast for many years? Whereas Keef still indulges? Does that make a difference?
ice.solo 24 Jan 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to ice.solo) Hasn't Iggy been clean sober and a gardening enthusiast for many years? Whereas Keef still indulges? Does that make a difference?

ive heard that. mind you after seeing iggy on stage a few years ago he stills play by the edge smashing himself up on stage and burning calories - hes only little, but whereas keef looks pretty lethargic, iggy doesnt look like sedentary living will be his demise.
both are testing the water in different ways.

does it count? hard to say, both are operating to unknown laws of nature.

aln 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: They're both just about to make it into a time when modern life extending technologies are within reach. If they can just keep going a wee bit longer then we can maybe get to watch them duke it out forever.
 Lukeva 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Legends never die
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Tom Waits vs Shane McGowan.
Pinged 24 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
> [...]
>
> The real ones creep up from left field

Aled Jones - underneath that angelic facade he's a snorting, swilling rock n roll animal
 deepsoup 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

A quick aside...

Iggy Pop and the Stooges' informative and comprehensive yet utterly hatstand tour rider (written by their stage manager, Jos Grain) is a bit of a legend in its own right. I'm sure many of the erudite and discerning uck types have read it already, but for those who've never heard of it - enjoy: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/iggy-pop-2012-rider

> Tom Waits vs Shane McGowan.

Good god no, Shane McGowan is not worthy.

Tom Waits vs Bob Dylan?
(Shane McGowan vs Shaun Ryder?)
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I meant in the 'addled' sense... Shane and Shaun would be worthy adversaries, true.
 deepsoup 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> I meant in the 'addled' sense...

In that sense it's prolly Waits who isn't in MacGowan's league. ;O)

> Shane and Shaun would be worthy adversaries, true.

It was their lovely smiles that made me think of them:
http://nowmagazine.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11140/00001b345/091d_orh100000w36...
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/passtheremote/assets_c/2010/01/6418575-1...

Flinticus 24 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
Tom Waits V Leonard Cohen?
 toad 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
> Tom Waits V Leonard Cohen?

The miracle with those two is how the audience have survived so long
Moley 24 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Are there any women? Can't think of any that are making music/performing over 50 yr old that aren't (apparently) sober and clean. Does Patti Smith indulge, looks like she should.

Surely you can suggest some?
 Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Moley:

<serious hat on, with cloying PC credentials>
Female artistes who become known for being alcohol or drug abusers, soon find themselves falling out of favour both with their own fans and within the industry...so they either clean up, or fade into relative obcurity (relative to "heroes" such as Keef)

e.g. Amy Winehouse was always more harshly judged than was Pete Doherty, for a recent example.
Marianne Faithfull has probably been clean and sober for 35 years and she was probably the best bet. And even then, she's a bit "niche" now, and doesn't have the cachet of a Tom Waits or even a Keef.

Kelley Deal had her moments but that was before she was 40, and she's hardly famous.
ice.solo 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler & moley:

pretty much. not many girls of that era fit the profile (still alive, that full on).

patti smith is a contender. nico if shed lived (irrelevant in this thread, but for another time for sure). marianne faithful maybe?

the true contender would be billy holiday, but thats a new ballgame.
In reply to ice.solo:

Yes, really struggling on this.
Even clutching at straws (too young, not famous enough, probably totally clean and sober), it's a struggle!
You think of Kim Gordon, Diamanda Galas, Anita Lane, hell even PJ Harvey and Alison Mosshart - there's NOTHING!
 Dauphin 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Grace Slick? Joni Mitchell? Normally women have kids and that kind of ends any 'stealing fire from the gods' rock poet messiah routine.

That amount of consumption normally ends with decades of shit music. Only person I can think of who is still kicking it is and clearly on heroic doses is Anton / BrianJonesTown Massacre. Their record from last year is one of the best they've done and live they are still startling.

D

MJ 25 Jan 2013

e.g. Amy Winehouse was always more harshly judged than was Pete Doherty, for a recent example.

Was she?
I seem to remember the media treating Winehouse with something almost bordering pity. Docherty on the other hand was always reported as being a bit of a "Druggy Scumbag".
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2013
In reply to MJ:

Uhhh. Dunno, now you put it like that.
I suppose I dimly recall Doherty being praised for his "poetic" nature and thus being compared to other famously druggy creative types, whereas Winehouse tended to be written about ONLY for her boozing and smack. I generalise massively, obviously. But I'd also say that "treating someone with pity" in this context is akin to judging them harshly. Difficult to put into words. Maybe "lads think Doherty is cool and girls fancy Dohery, but not many people of any gender really looked up to Winehouse as much as maybe they could have"
Or maybe I am talking rubbish!
In reply to Moley:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> Are there any women?

Courtney Love must be pushing 50, and she's ker-ay-ZEEEE!

PeterM 25 Jan 2013

Always had a soft spot for Inger Lorre and her antics
 Dauphin 25 Jan 2013

The exponential rise in buffon hairstyles and shitty tats on women in the capital from 2006 would suggest otherwise.

D
Moley 25 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Janis Joplin had the potential to be a Keith Richards equivalent (bet they would even have based a Pirates of the Carribean character on her!) but not to be.
I had never considered the lack of female 'rock stars' over 50 till I posted that, but does seem odd that there is nobody of that era who is world wide recogniseable and still living the rock life (as opposed to drinking green tea and playing golf).
 Mike Stretford 25 Jan 2013
> (In reply to MJ)
>
>
> But I'd also say that "treating someone with pity" in this context is akin to judging them harshly. Difficult to put into words. Maybe "lads think Doherty is cool and girls fancy Dohery, but not many people of any gender really looked up to Winehouse as much as

I don't think so. I thought Amy was well respected as an artist while most people thought Docherty was a prick?
 Postmanpat 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Moley:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> Are there any women? Can't think of any that are making music/performing over 50 yr old that aren't (apparently) sober and clean. Does Patti Smith indulge, looks like she should.
>
> Surely you can suggest some?

Saw Joan Jett a couple of years back and she was looking good. Now 54 but no idea if she indulges. But then hasn't Keef cleaned up?

Anyway, back to the OP: isn't Ginger Baker the greatest survivor of them all?
In reply to Postmanpat:

I was pondering Joan Jett but I have a feeling she's fairly clean and sober. Was she ever a "legendary" substance abuser?
cb294 25 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Iggy vs. Keith? Only one way to find out:

Celebrity death match!

CB
 Flinticus 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Moley:
Not as commonly famous but Lydia Lunch may qualify

Certianly got the music credentials and I've heard and really like some of her later stuff.

http://zuriz.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/lydia-lunch-interview/
ice.solo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

ginger bakers a good call - but still not on par with iggy and keef. really, if we want contenders we need look no further than the other stooges...iggy actually seems to be the better preserved of all of them.

my pondering is more with those two partly because they have cleaned up. so what will kill them now? smack, speed, sleep deprivation, broken glass and free lovin couldnt kill them - so what can?

the jokes on me if iggy trips on his walking frame at the age of 92, or keef chokes on his false teeth.
 JdotP 26 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

My money is on Iggy surviving longer. Keith Richards used to indulge until pretty recently, wasn't that incident where he climbed and fell out of a coconut tree while on cocaine (or something of that ilk) only a few years ago?

I give Keith Richards 5 years, Lemmy and Iggy both 10 years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...