UKC

improving on a purcell prussic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
valjean 23 Jan 2013
been using a purcell prussic as my tether to anchors for the past 3 seasons. love it.
cheap.
not completely static since the knot will slip (in theory better if i slip if there is slack).
adjustable
can be untied and/or cut to serve as tat for whatever other use

however there is the odd time i wish it could do one more thing for me

one handed adjustability. this is only possible when lengthening... the second it becomes too long, a second hand is needed to shorten it

So the question/challenge to you guys is this:
is there a way to make a purcell (or any other tether system) one hand adjustable?

I know something like a metolius easy daisy could be used for this... but not sure id be trusting that as my single point of attachment
 scott titt 23 Jan 2013
In reply to valjean:
Purcell Prusik - there, improved it.
 David Coley 23 Jan 2013
In reply to valjean: whilst we are on the subject, a Purcell Prusik is normally shown tied with a small loop for attaching to the harness. Assuming you are attaching it by girth hitching to the belay loop rather than using a screw gate, does this small loop have a purpose? I have always just used a normal prusik: Am I doing something wrong? Ta.
valjean 23 Jan 2013
In reply to David Coley:
i girth hitch to the tie in points
i also have that loop at the end -- the purpose i see out of it seems to be to make sure the prussik does now slide through when no it use. i dont see any real negatives that would come from not having it -- i could be wrong.

i have seen purcells tied with 2 pieces of cord with 2 prussics that allowed for a lot of adjustability -- looked like a faff to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...