UKC

Rock Ring Training Plans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goofyfoot 23 Jan 2013
Just bought myself a pair of rocok rings, (please nobodoy suggest I buy a fingerboard), and am trying to find a training plan - looked on the metolius website but it looks very general - any suggestions?
 mattking_109 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot: I guess you found the rock ring 10 minute programme on the metolius website? It's right at the bottom of the page...http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/training_giude_rock_ring.html
 Kieran_John 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot:

I struggle to get to the end of that ten minute session. L-hangs kill me. I've heard it said that it's not a particularly good workout though, but it makes me feel like I've actually done something and leaves my arms fairly pumped.
Simon_Sheff 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot:
> Just bought myself a pair of rocok rings, (please nobodoy suggest I buy a fingerboard), and am trying to find a training plan - looked on the metolius website but it looks very general - any suggestions?

Did u think about what u were going to use them for, before you brought them?

OP Goofyfoot 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:
....dead hangs, pull ups and finger strength training....what their supposed to be used for...
 Steve13 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot:
> (In reply to Simon_Sheff)
> ....dead hangs, pull ups and finger strength training....what their supposed to be used for...

Then just do that. 3 sets of 12 pullups on the grips you find easy, then perform repeaters on the top slot, then deadhanging the smaller slots. The point is to give your self 20 mins of solid warming up on easy things before you start hanging holds that are hard for you. Only you will know what your base level is. Check the beastmaker website on what they suggest for a routine. You'll find most fingerboard training plans can translate reasonably well to the rock rings with a bit of tweaking.

If you're at a level where every rock ring hold feels easy as piss, start adding weight into a backpack or dipping belt.

One thing i would definitly suggest is come up with a routine and stick with it for at least 4-6 weeks before making things harder. Your finger tendons respond very slowly to strength training.

OP Goofyfoot 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve13:
Cheers that sounds useful, I'm a bit new to climbing specific training - just checked the beastmaker site, looks like a good place to start.
Simon_Sheff 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot:

Here is a link to the hang tough video:

youtube.com/watch?v=wOybnsKOKxQ&

Hope it helps
 lmarenzi 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Qualiteh workout
OP Goofyfoot 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff: Thanks for the useless help - if your not interested in offering any helpful advice, don't bother posting any messages!
Simon_Sheff 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot:
> (In reply to Simon_Sheff) Thanks for the useless help - if your not interested in offering any helpful advice, don't bother posting any messages!

Lighten up, it was just a bit of fun dude! Most people love the Vogue

as646 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff: Don't you know the internet is Serious Business?
 UKB Shark 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Goofyfoot:

The 10 minute workout is a starting point but it is better to design a workout that you can keep gradually adjusting as you improve. With the 10 minute workout if you keep repeating it then it will not enable you to progress as your body will reach stasis and if you can't do it then it is an incomplete workout.

An adjustable workout means you can keep challenging your muscles to get stronger or endure more. This training concept is called progressive overload. Progressing the overload can be done in terms intensity (hold size/added weight/number of fingers used) volume (amount of total hanging time) density (reducing rest time between reps/sets) and variety (different grip positions).

Useful if you set out what you want to prioritise. This could be pulling strength, core strength, max hang strength or finger endurance. Either put those exercises that train these components first in your session or dedicate that session or a block of sessions to one type of work.

For hangs I find hanging the rock rings back to back so you are almost hanging in a prayer position the most comfortable. In fact that was part of the inspiration that led me to design a wooden alternative (the Wedge).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...