UKC

Rock climbing in Central West Brazil - Cuiabá, Mato Grosso

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Yesteeler 23 Jan 2013
I'll have to stay for four month in Cuiabá, Mato Grosso, Brazil from mid March onwards. Is there anything climbing related I can do in the near vicinity of Cuiabá? Plastic, rock and ice (*snigger*) are all fair game. Since the whole stay will be work dominated I don't have time to travel much around, so the closer the better.

Thanks for the input!
cariva 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Yesteeler:

Very tough enterprise indeed my friend! I don't think you will find anything in that area, but I might be even wrong.
There probably is some potential around "Chapada dos Guimaraes" but it's just a guess to tell you the true...I would say, if it is really important for you take all your gear and be ready for opening new routes on virgin terrain (probably crappy rock).
Please let e know if you find anything! 80)
Yesteeler 25 Jan 2013
Thanks, that was my impression too after a round of google frency. If you feed google with some Portuguese you get some hits in terms of "mato grosso" and "escalada" even some videos (and name of an other location, the Serra de São Vicente). The "Chapada dos Guimarães" looks not bad, indeed.

I am a bit torn. On the one hand, taking my full and universal rack incl. a rope will give me the possibility to climb "everywhere". On the other hand, it is a huge chunk of my baggage allowance, esp. considering that I am not sure how much time I'll have + I need to find a partner. Oh well...
cariva 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Yesteeler:
I will look around (google.com.br) and will let you know if I find anything. As you said, finding a partner will be also a challenge, but who knows...last year I met an italian guy in the Teodulo Hut (aparently an accomplished climber), and he was getting ready to go to that area to work in the gold mining industry, so you really never know...
 Al Evans 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Yesteeler: Here you go;

Matto Grosso Chimney 24m VS 4c
Just right of Rio Verde is an obvious groove, follow this into a chimney crack. Thrash up this and move left to finish up steep grass. Ice tools recommended.Pleasnt when dry.

Unfortunately it's in Water Cum Jolly which may be a bit far if you are on a tight schedule

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...