UKC

Pembroke - where to start?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 24 Jan 2013
Never been to Pembroke. Got a 2002 guidebook. Climb E1. There is so much on offer. Where should I start?

JRae 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Go do Manzoku, Cool for cats and riders on the storm.. Then the next day head to mother careys and do rock idol and if you find that easy have a go at brazen buttress and deep space!!
 Al Evans 24 Jan 2013
In reply to JRae: I think thats as good a start as it goes, or just go to St Govans, start with The Arrow and take it from there.
In reply to Will Cat:
> Never been to Pembroke. Got a 2002 guidebook. Climb E1. There is so much on offer. Where should I start?

I live there and couldn't really tell you where to start. It is hard to go wrong if you stick to routes with stars. Some of the un stared routes are good too, but some aren't.

East to west:
Mother Carey's great exciting routes from S - E1, and lots more if you want to push on to the E2's

Mowing word

St Govan's East

St Govan's, some people will tell you it is not that good, but they are wrong, lots of good routes HVS - E2.

Stennis head

Huntsman's leap, although probably best if you can climb E2 or have some prussiks with you.

Bosherston head.

The list goes on, before you start on the less accessible crags, or the N pembrokeshire slabs.

Just get your head round the tides (for some of the crags), and the Range west military firing times.

The Pylon King 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Stennis Head + Mowing Word + Carreg Y Barcud

Don't go to St Govans
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> Stennis Head + Mowing Word + Carreg Y Barcud
>
>
> Don't go to St Govans

^^^ this + mother careys. And yes, St Govan's is mostly bobbins.
In reply to Will Cat:

I told you.
 John2 24 Jan 2013
In reply to mountain.martin: Lots of good recommendations so far. Ignore the St Govans decriers. The only seriously polished routes are Vice isNice and Incest is Best.

One of the very best E1s in Pembroke is Wishful Thinking at The Castle, but the tidal window is very short - get there around 3/4 of an hour before low tide.

There's also Crickmail Point - lots of great HVSs plus B Team Buttress at E1. And Magic Flute at Beck's Bay - lowish tide essential again. but more leeway than Wishful Thinking.
 JayK 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

St Govan's is amazing. Cool Hand Blues Band. The Arrow. Depraved.
 Tom Valentine 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:
Don't know where you should start but I'd like to suggest that you finish up at Mur Cenhinen and have a crack at Cordelia. Just so there's someone else I can compare notes with.
 The Pylon King 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

There is absolutely no reason to go to St Govan's when you've got the rest of Pembroke to go to, ignore the St Govan's die hards - its polished as F@ck.

It's also a bit Pembroke-lite, with it's non-tidalness and 30 second walk in. It kind of misses the point.
 Phil1919 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: I would start at about hard severe. Its steep!
 UKB Shark 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Everyone starts at St Govan's with good reason. It's 5 minutes from the car park, it is mostly non tidal, you can scramble in, it's easy to escape from, lots of stakes at the top to belay from, there are no firing restrictions and there is a good selection of quality routes from VS upwards.

You can therefore get used to the rock without other complications. The rock is a bit weird to begin with especially with respect to placing pro so a day getting used to it is a good idea.

You wouldn't want to climb there all your trip but it is the perfect place to start, which is what your question was.
 Jon Stewart 24 Jan 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> St Govan's is amazing.

I'm in the bobbins camp.

> Depraved.

I'm guessing you meant Deranged, the classic (yet forgettable) E2? 'Cause Depraved is hard for E2 and f^cking crap - loose dusty blocky stuff, protection involves small wires in pulling-blocks-off the crag placements. Stinking.

Didn't think St. Govs East was any good for E1s either, but good E2/3s.

With the others on Stennis Head as intro (Riders is fantastic, and the big E1s are good soft touches, all juggy fun). Mother Carey's for the real deal (Strait Gate best E1 in Pembroke for me, Deep Space is probably only HVS/E1 if dry) and Barcud if you like that kind of thing (I love the place - like slate with friction, beautiful setting).
 Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2013
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to mountain.martin) Lots of good recommendations so far. Ignore the St Govans decriers. The only seriously polished routes are Vice isNice and Incest is Best.
>
>seem to remeber Clean Hand Blues Band ws polished about 15 years ago!

All good stuff though.
stu maci 24 Jan 2013
Where can you scramble into at st govans?
 jon 24 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:

Down the chimney.
 3 Names 24 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:

straight down the gully
stu maci 24 Jan 2013
Also there are firing restrictions there, especially mid-week, so check before you go. Away from the south barcud is great, and there are some adventures to be had on the north...
stu maci 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:
Do you mean the chapel area? How often can you walk around to the main area? I can't think of a chimney I'd want to scramble down?
 jon 24 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:

That's not St Govan's, that's Chapel point. The chimney is behind the big block with Army Dreamers on it. Just next to the Butcher.
stu maci 24 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
Never thought about scrambling down there when you can ab in and leave it there for the day. How hard is the scramble? Can't be a way in to recommend surely?
 Jon Stewart 24 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:
> (In reply to jon)
> Never thought about scrambling down there when you can ab in and leave it there for the day. How hard is the scramble? Can't be a way in to recommend surely?

It's really handy to escape, it's fine to scramble up in lashing rain, but I'd much rather ab down. Would be OK to scramble, just not desirable.
 jon 24 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:

Well it used to be the regular way in. It isn't hard at all - not even diff.
stu maci 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Ah I see, will have a look next time I'm down.
OP Motown 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Thank you all. Am looking at pictures and drooling.
 Owen W-G 25 Jan 2013
Up to E1...

Manzuku (5* E1, bit pumpy, good holds tho)
Cool for Cats
Hercules
The Arrow (5*)
Army Dreamers (decent warmup, get am sun to degrease before most other crags)
Hangover 77 (hard)
Too Much Pressure (softie)
Strait Gate (More like E2 IMO)
Rock Idol (easy E1)
Riders on the Storm
B Team Buttress
Aero
Sinecure
The Hole
Sealhunt
Snozwanger
Heart of Darkness (good partner needed)
Calisto (super soft E1, get am sun to degrease before most other crags)

Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to stu maci)
>
> Well it used to be the regular way in. It isn't hard at all - not even diff.

I have to say that the last time I did it it (and that might be 10 years ago now) it was getting pretty unpleasant and abseiling had become usual. It's less scary going down the other side of the pinnacle, as a I recall...
 Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> There is absolutely no reason to go to St Govan's when you've got the rest of Pembroke to go to, ignore the St Govan's die hards - its polished as F@ck.

I have to agree if you are looking at E1 and below. I never did find St Govan's very inspiring for some reason.

There are some amazing HVSs and E2s at Pembroke, but I'm struggling to think of a really outstanding E1. Pigs on the Wing is as memorable HVS as you'll do anywhere.
 Alun 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:
Nice list of the obvious classics.

In reply to OP's "where to start?" - pretty much anywhere, you're going to have an amazing time.

I went through a phase of bashing St Govan's, then I grew up and realised that I was just trying to show off my knowledge of Pembroke's lesser known crags. St Govan's on a sunny bank holiday may get a little busy but it quite plainly isn't bobbins. Catch it on a quiet afternoon and it's one of finest crags in the country for low-mid E-grades.
 jon 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Ha, well yes, the last time I climbed in Pembroke was more than twice that long ago! So is there one defined abseil like the one that Ian and I established at Trevallen? Or do people abseil down next to their planned route? Whatever, it's useful for climbers to know that there is a way back up in case of bad weather etc. Clearly stu maci didn't...
 Al Evans 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Owen W-G)
I went through a phase of bashing St Govan's, then I grew up and realised that I was just trying to show off my knowledge of Pembroke's lesser known crags. St Govan's on a sunny bank holiday may get a little busy but it quite plainly isn't bobbins. Catch it on a quiet afternoon and it's one of finest crags in the country for low-mid E-grades.

I was wondering what had changed at St Govans last to make it from one of the best crags in the UK to one of the worst ???????????????
 GrahamD 25 Jan 2013

I always reckoned at HVS Front Line, Army Dreamers and Tactician were pretty good St Govans options despite the polish.

Overall I think the Arrow and Manzuku are as good a single pitch E1 as anywhere.
 Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

People were mostly abbing near the descent chimney when I was there. I think that there is a rather reduced tolerance to the inconvenience to scrambling down to the bottom of sae cliffs generally but sometimes it is at least partly because of the polish (or increased looseness, like at Baggy).

jon 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Alun)
> I was wondering what had changed at St Govans last to make it from one of the best crags in the UK to one of the worst ???????????????

Me too Al. It's got some great routes, though sadly it's lost a few of the best to catastrophic rockfall. I'd also take issue with Jon Stewart's assessment of Depraved as being 'f*cking crap'. Whilst admitting it's not as good as Deranged, and my bias aside(!) I really don't think it's that bad. Interesting that I gave it E1 - grade creep?

Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

St Govan's wasn't my favourite bit of Pembroke even when there was nobody there on sunny bank holidays (those were the days!) I preferred the more compact rock in the Leap, the spectacle of the Cauldron or Triple Overhang or the atmosphere of Mowing Word. Or the easy slabs...
 Jon Stewart 25 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> I'd also take issue with Jon Stewart's assessment of Depraved as being 'f*cking crap'. Whilst admitting it's not as good as Deranged, and my bias aside(!) I really don't think it's that bad. Interesting that I gave it E1 - grade creep?

Haha. Sorry. To me it felt like climbing a freshly worked quarry - that horrible dusty, blocky rock where you shove in little wires down the cracks filled with the dust and mud that's cementing the crag together.

It's the usual sort of grade creep where inconsistencies are ironed out with a preference to upgrading. Depraved couldn't sensibly be the same grade as Manzoku, Cool for Cats or Rock Idol, and feels a good bit harder than, say Baker's Door which is probably worth E2 IMO (it's not much different to Keelhaul).

My personal reason for St. Govs bashing is that I've done most of the classic round about E2 and none of them were at all special, while some I really didn't like (the polish of Army Dreamers and CHBB, the blockiness and avoidable crux of War Crime). Contrast that to such brilliant crags only 10minutes walk away - the amazing rock and classy climbing around Keelhaul, complete with its spectacular, atmospheric setting; or the Leap or any of the others. All are just so much better by every measure apart from convenience.

My Pembroke experience is very mainstream, I don't know any of the quieter venues and I haven't explored much of the Range, so I don't have anything to show off about. I certainly haven't done any hard routes! But St. Govs is the worst crag by a mile, it feels like a dirty quarry and the routes I've done have all been rubbish. Can't say fairer than that, surely?

John2 25 Jan 2013
In reply to jon: Depraved used to be a splendid sandbag at E1 - maybe something fell off after you graded it? There is a tricky move on the initial crack to the left of the Deranged flake, and plenty more reasonably sustained climbing after that. I don't know anyone who doesn't think it's harder than Deranged. Most think it closer to E3 than E1 now.
OP Motown 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett: Suggestions for E2s very welcome. Keen to push grade.
 Jonny2vests 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

While St Govans hasn't got the ambience of places like Mother Carey's, you can't argue with multiple 3* routes at all grades between HVS and E5.
 John2 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Deranged, War Crimes, First Blood, Shape Up, Beast from the Undergrowth, Deep Space, Brazen Buttress, Keelhaul, High Life, Daydreams, Surprise Attack, Chimes of Freedom, Silver Shadow . . .
 GrahamD 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Lucky Strike is a superb borderline E1/2
 Jon Stewart 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Keelhaul is my favourite: elegant slab climbing, fanatastic rock, nice little run-out, and a roof on good holds.

Brazen Butress is a brilliant 'big E2' route as good as The Strand or Left Wall and better (but much easier) than Darius IMO. Deep Space just next door is easy if it's dry, incredibly atmospheric and brilliant memorable route. Some people think Strait Gate is worth E2 (I don't, it's a clearly a grade easier than Brazen) but it is absolutely fantastic. Whatever you do, don't miss Mother Careys, it's easily my favourite Pembroke crag.
 HB1 25 Jan 2013
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to jon) Depraved used to be a splendid sandbag at E1 - maybe something fell off after you graded it? There is a tricky move on the initial crack to the left of the Deranged flake. . .

. . . which is as far as I got, so I moved over to Deranged - much more amenable
 jon 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> Keelhaul is my favourite: elegant slab climbing, fanatastic rock, nice little run-out, and a roof on good holds.

Oh OK, I forgive you!
 jon 25 Jan 2013
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to jon) Depraved used to be a splendid sandbag at E1 - maybe something fell off after you graded it?

Must have done John, I've usually been criticised for over grading, if anything. Apart from White Heat, of course... I was so surprised to get up it, I was sure it couldn't be E5!

Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> [...]
>
> Oh OK, I forgive you!

Nothing like a little flattery, hey?
 Jon Stewart 25 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

Haha, brilliant - I didn't check the FA details, it's the only south Pembroke route in my list of favourite ever routes.
 Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

John2, GrahamD and John Stewart have suggested most of the E2s I was thinking of. I'd add Stingray and Uncertain Smile on the north coast.
 Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Blimey, I nearly forgot Enter the Goat. It was only Jon mentioning overgrading that reminded me. Good one to push your grade on.

Even more when it was E3!
 Jon Stewart 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

If you make it up to the north, check out Be Clever. It gets E1 5c**, but it's definitely worth E2 5c*** IMO. It's got a big run-out, and a tough crux right at the top (not at the top of the run-out, thankfully).
 Dave Garnett 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yes, if he gets up that, certainly Stingray will be OK. On reflection, at Caerfai perhaps Orogeny is a better one to push your grade on than Uncertain Smile.
 John2 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett: Or even Age Concern - overgraded at E3.
 Anoetic 25 Jan 2013
Hi, another vote for Carreg Y Barcud. Its great slab climbing with plenty of E1's (most with stars)
 jon 25 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> Blimey, I nearly forgot Enter the Goat. It was only Jon mentioning overgrading that reminded me. Good one to push your grade on.
>
>
> Even more when it was E3!

You know Dave, I think it may well have been at one time - I can't think that Ian and I could have been THAT far out. Just like Depraved may have been E1. Routes evolve. However, I'd just like to add that reading my post back, I made it sound like White Heat was my route, which of course it wasn't, but it was me that gave the silly grading of E4 in the 86 guide. That wasn't down to the route changing, just a mistake on my behalf.

Alun 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Anoetic:
> Hi, another vote for Carreg Y Barcud. Its great slab climbing with plenty of E1's (most with stars)

Carreg-y-Barcud is one of those crags which is brilliant the first time you go there, but thereafter not so, the climbing is too samey for my liking. At E1 only Sinecure stood out for me as having any unique climbing; Be Brave and Be Clever are basically easier/less-bold versions of Kitten Claws E3, which is an easier/less-bold version of Mean Feat E5 etc. It's a spectacular sweep of rock though.

And if we're getting on to E2 now, First Blood at St Govan's east still ranks as my favourite single pitch ever. Lucky Strike a close second but for my money, right bang on E1 - I think the intimidating atmosphere makes people want to push the grade up, but there are no hard moves and you can lace it with gear. I've still yet to do Keelhaul, to my shame. That whole slab of rock looks amazing though.

When I did Enter The Goat I thought it was dangerous for E2 because you were basically doing a 5b move trusting one old rusty peg, with no other gear, above a groundfall!

John2 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Alun: On Enter the Goat you can get a good size 1 1/2 cam in before the peg. The peg still looks pretty solid to me.
 jon 26 Jan 2013
In reply to John2:

It's 31 years old John! How solid can it be?
I think that anyone who thinks St Govan's is bobbins, can't have done...
Charisma, Test Case, Space Cadet, The Arrow, Get Some In, Deranged, Tangerine Dream... and loads of others. Now that'd be a good day!
 John2 26 Jan 2013
In reply to jon: There's some comment from Ian Parsons on the Enter the Goat peg on this thread - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=359824&v=1#x5248515 . As I say, there's still no visible corrosion.

I always assumed the route name was a play on Enter the Dragon - can you confirm or deny that?
 Martin Hore 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Interesting thread. Did someone really say that Pembroke is a bit light on quality E1's? Where else can you find Rock Idol, Arrow, Manzoku... and Strait Gate is probably E1 as well, as others have said.

For my best Pembroke E1 experiences I'd perhaps rate Wishful Thinking, or, of course Preposterous Tales (which seems to vary from HVS to E2, so it must have been E1 at some point??). But despite what someone said above about Wishful Thinking, I wouldn't rate it as a good early Pembroke E1 unless you're very comfortable at E1 - nothing really hard on it for E1, but quite a scary situation. And don't take Preposterous Tales as a recommendation unless you get the beta and really want an adventure.
 jon 26 Jan 2013
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to jon)
> I always assumed the route name was a play on Enter the Dragon - can you confirm or deny that?

It's a reference to the Vicar of Bosherston's goat. The goat had a thing about rubber. If you'd managed to accidentally camp within the range of the beast, you'd likely wake up to find it had eaten the rubber tensioners on your tent. Cars suffered the same fate - it was particularly partial to windscreen wipers or you might find it had stripped any rubber trim from the bodywork. This was in the days when you could camp in the vicarage garden. It was therefore a rather notorious animal... everyone had some sort of story about it.

The name Enter the Goat was a sort of stage direction... you know, like 'enter inspector Clouseau, stage right'.

John2 26 Jan 2013
In reply to jon: OK, not a reference to Enter the Dragon. I remember the goat well - it had a go at the radiator grill on my car once. For once, it encountered something that it failed to eat.
 Pagan 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> I was wondering what had changed at St Govans last to make it from one of the best crags in the UK to one of the worst ???????????????

Snobbery, mostly.
 Pagan 26 Jan 2013
>
> There are some amazing HVSs and E2s at Pembroke, but I'm struggling to think of a really outstanding E1. Pigs on the Wing is as memorable HVS as you'll do anywhere.

Rock Idol, Wishful Thinking and Heart of Darkness/New Morning stand out for me. Honourable mention for Lucky Strike (since it's inexplicably back at E2 in the latest guide, which is clearly nonsense).
 climbingpixie 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Hore:

Another vote from me for Wishful Thinking. It's probably my favourite Pembroke E1 (it pips Lucky Strike because I wussed out and sat on the gear on that one).

Regarding the St Govans debate - I used to hate the place after having an absolute epic on Army Dreamers when I'd not warmed up, had never climbed HVS on limestone and found it desperately polished and greasy. But on my last trip there we did Deranged and The Arrow, and I realised that just because it's polished, non-tidal and popular it doesn't mean that the routes are bad. The thing is, I wouldn't make a special trip there, its non-tidal nature means if you spend any time in Pembroke you'll end up climbing there anyway. If the tides are right go to Mother Carey's or similar, just don't dismiss St Govans based on the postings on here.
 jon 26 Jan 2013
In reply to John2:

No, sorry! It was Ian's name and Ian's peg.
 jon 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Pagan:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> [...]
>
> Snobbery, mostly.

Or ignorance maybe. By the way, have you done your eponymous route yet?

JayK 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I meant Depraved! I thought it was as good as it's neighbour! Wasn't loose when I did it? I don't think I ever really felt exposed either apart from the easy but airy slabby wall at the top?
 Pagan 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Keelhaul is my favourite: elegant slab climbing, fanatastic rock, nice little run-out, and a roof on good holds.

Isn't it on that horrid, grey, shiny stuff that feels like an oil slick in anything other than overcast, sub-zero conditions?

> Brazen Butress is a brilliant 'big E2' route as good as The Strand or Left Wall and better (but much easier) than Darius IMO.

I really didn't enjoy BB at all, which was a shame as I was really looking forward to it - the climbing was totally different to what I was expecting - it felt more like an awkward grit thug route with difficult gear than the enjoyable face climb it appears to be from a distance.

> Whatever you do, don't miss Mother Careys, it's easily my favourite Pembroke crag.

It's a fantastic place. Looking forward to going back to do Deep Space and maybe Zeppelin this year...

Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Pagan:
>
> [...]
>
> Isn't it on that horrid, grey, shiny stuff that feels like an oil slick in anything other than overcast, sub-zero conditions?
>

Yes, that's it. I was apprehensive about the weird shiny bits but once you get going, it's fantastic. Until you get to the loose top bit (it is Pembroke...) it's one solid chunk of really aesthetic rock with really cool little holds all over it. Nothing like that horrible pile of dusty concrete blocks you get down the way at Govans. I don't expect the Keelhaul slab to just fall into the sea any time soon (but the top might shed a few chunks).
> [...]
>
> I really didn't enjoy BB at all, which was a shame as I was really looking forward to it - the climbing was totally different to what I was expecting - it felt more like an awkward grit thug route with difficult gear than the enjoyable face climb it appears to be from a distance.

That's odd. It is a bit steeper and crackier than you might expect, but I'd describe it as quite an intricate route, traversing around between good cracks, with good gear (small cams were definitely handy, but it's a wall with thin cracks...). Bit of jamming certainly, but nice energy-saving jamming not grit style unjammable cracks that can't be climbed other than by being a jamming maestro.
> [...]
>
> It's a fantastic place. Looking forward to going back to do Deep Space and maybe Zeppelin this year...

Zeppelin's an odd one - I onsighted it OK a couple of years back, and then last year I had to aid it on second (a demoralising experience). The leader - who was doing fine on E4s that week - found the crux tough too. Dunno if I just had a good day the first time or if something (for your right foot?) has fallen off the crux, making it full-on 6a.
 Alun 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> Zeppelin's an odd one - I onsighted it OK a couple of years back, and then last year I had to aid it on second (a demoralising experience). The leader - who was doing fine on E4s that week - found the crux tough too. Dunno if I just had a good day the first time or if something (for your right foot?) has fallen off the crux, making it full-on 6a.

Agree whole-heartedly with this comment. We did it at the end of hot, slippery day (so there's the excuse!) and it ruined us. My leader (who walked up a couple of E4s the next day at Range East) took an enormous whipper on the crux, and I had to have a rest or two even seconding. Certainly not one to try to push your grade on.

In fact, Mother Scarey's stands apart from many of the other Pembrokeshire hotspots in the sense that I find the whole crag a tad undergraded (e.g. The Straight Gate is definitely E2 imo), whereas much of Range-East feels a bit undergraded. Maybe it's because Mother Scarey's has that slightly more 'serious' vibe.
 jcw 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Well the one NOT to start on is my first climb there, Hole in the wall!
 Dave Garnett 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Pagan:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
> [...]
>
> Rock Idol, Wishful Thinking and Heart of Darkness/New Morning stand out for me. Honourable mention for Lucky Strike (since it's inexplicably back at E2 in the latest guide, which is clearly nonsense).

All good routes but I thought HoD/NM was HVS and LS, as you say, is down as E2 (admittedly a soft touch).
 Dave Garnett 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Pagan:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> [...]
>
> Snobbery, mostly.

I don't think it's crap, it's just not one of my favourite bits of Pembroke, or even of Range East.
 Al Evans 27 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Pagan)
> [...]
>
> Or ignorance maybe. By the way, have you done your eponymous route yet?

I'm not sure what you mean
 Jon Stewart 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Alun:
> [...]

> In fact, Mother Scarey's stands apart from many of the other Pembrokeshire hotspots in the sense that I find the whole crag a tad undergraded (e.g. The Straight Gate is definitely E2 imo), whereas much of Range-East feels a bit undergraded. Maybe it's because Mother Scarey's has that slightly more 'serious' vibe.

Quite varied I think. There are plenty of soft touches: Rock Idol should be HVS because it's a well protected route, mainly 4b/c with a 5a crux and plenty of rests. How that can be E1 I will never understand. Sunsmoke is soft E1 (no way E2) I think, an easy route with a quick 5b crux. Deep Space is easy when dry, not sure it's even 5b. But Eight Guage must be horrific at HVS, 'cause we did Tempest and found the start intimidating...and with its 5c crux I don't see why that can't have E2 (although it is escapable, so a firm but fair grade I guess).
 jon 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure what you mean

I was asking Pagan if he'd climbed Pagan yet. I asked him a few years ago and he hadn't, but that he wanted to.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:
> Never been to Pembroke. Got a 2002 guidebook. Climb E1. There is so much on offer. Where should I start?

A40 is a good start
 Mark Warnett 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

I had a great time on Baker's Door at E1 - i thought it was fantastic climbing with good gear on a cool blank looking sheet of rock & great location.

i have great memories of St Govans and none of the routes i did were polished. the negativiy seems ridiculous to me.
 Richard Fox 28 Jan 2013

However if you do go to St Govans and don't like it( I'm in the bobbins camp), its a 5 minutes walk to Huntsmans Leap, another 5 to Boshertons Head, another........

Personally I like individual 'adventure' routes. Find it, ab in, track it down and climb out. Different style to day at the crag.

Pembroke is a big venue with different styles, enjoy.
 Mark Kemball 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: You have so much choice, I'd recommend somewhere non-tidal with easy access to get a feel for the place, Stennis Head, or for easier grades, Saddle Head. St Govan's is good (I think), but is a bit of a "honey pot", try St Govan's East for somewhere close to the car park that you're likely to have to yourselves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...