UKC

MSR Tents?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJ2606 25 Jan 2013
I'm after a new 3 man tent for backpacking. I have narrowed it down to two choices; the MSR Holler 3, and fhe MSR Mutha Hubba HP. Ideally I would like to see both the tents before I make my mind up, but unfortunately there isn't anywhere close to me that stocks them. Currently I am leaning towards the Holler as it has a larger floor plan and is slightly cheaper. My question is has anyone got any experience with either of these tents and what would you reccomend?
Lee
 MikeLell 25 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606: I've had a Fury 2 man and can say that the build quality is excellent, hopefully it's the same with the tents you mentioned.
ice.solo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:

only seen the mutha hubba (but several others not on your list).

all good tents, some exceptional - except the pegs. utter crap. ive snapped at least 10 (the red ones, others may be better).
 geordiepie 25 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:

I've got the Hubba Hubba HP which is the 2 man version....quality tent, very light and roomy for the weight, having 2 entrances is great. I've used in in fairly high winds and it stands up well if pitched properly.

Some people complain that the groundsheet is too high and will let water in but I've not had a problem with this.
OP LJ2606 25 Jan 2013
Cheers. I've heard quite a few good things about the Mutha Hubba now, but it seems nobody knows about the Holler, it does look very tempting on paper though.
 TobyA 25 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606: I've got the Hubba (the little one). It's a good little tent but if I bought one again I'd pay the extra for the HP version as you suggest you're think of doing. The non-HP versions are all mesh and the wind can get in on breezey night if you are in exposed pitches as can powdery snow if you are in cold winter conditions. I've mainly used mine below the tree line here in Finland so it's generally been ok, and it kept me dry on foul night high in Glen Nevis, but for the UK I think you're sensible to go for the HP version.
OP LJ2606 27 Jan 2013
I have also just seen the Marmot Limelight 3P, this looks a good tent and fits my needs, plus it's a lot cheaper. Again has anybody got experience with Marmot tents?
Lee
 Crimpchimp 27 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:
Ive had the MSR Fusion2 which was good but heavy. I have now got the original MSR Dragonstail which is good except it lets the water in through the vent flaps which annoys me more than i can express.

Most of the tents are good but defo worth inspecting the tent in a show room first before buying. MSR is an american brand and like most brands made outside the UK, UK conditions are not on the top of the priority list when designing equipment. I would prob advise towards terra nova.
 thin bob 27 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:
Limelight4P: not the lightest (because of the good height, windows and solid inner), but roomy, weatherproof & stood up to a couple of storms well. Inner pitch first, goes up quick, so not too much of a disadvantage (though getting the fly over by yourself in high winds can be a bit tricky). 2 doors.
http://marmot.com/products/limelight_4p?p=118

Also tried a Grid, nicely built. If I was out walking, I'd take it. Outer pitch first.
http://marmot.com/products/grid_2p

I really liked the Widi; not as tall as the limelight and only 1 door, but fantastic porch area!
http://marmot.com/products/widi_3p?p=118
 thin bob 27 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:
Limelight4p has vents on the doors, nice touch. You can sleep along or across in it as well. Don't know if the 3P has vents.

Only thing I'd change would be a cover for the windows and inclusion of storm guys (the attachment points are there, just not the guylines). It stands fine without the storm guys, freestanding or with the existing lines. I think most manufacturers leave out storm guys now?

Between two, it'd be quick * light enough to erect for day camping; I stayed in it when static for a week & it was great. the gear loft is a really nice touch for a (relatively) cheap tent.
 TobyA 27 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

> all good tents, some exceptional - except the pegs. utter crap. ive snapped at least 10 (the red ones, others may be better).

Dude, you just totally jinxed me! I read your post whilst in the car yesterday after climbing, and we went on to another area in the evening and camped in the carpark. http://instagram.com/p/U_M8OQrvL3/ I've always thought those MSR pegs have been excellent, but last night one hit of the first one with my Viper to try and get it into the frozen ground and the head snapped clean off!
OP LJ2606 27 Jan 2013
Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go for the limelight 3p, I can get it for £240 including a footprint. It's not too heavy to carry between the two of us and it has stacks of space compared to my Terra Nova Voyager that it's replacing.
Lee
 Siward 27 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:

Check out the hydrostatic head on American tents. Often they are designed to combat snow and showers, not three days of torrential rain. Choose hastily, repent at leisure...
OP LJ2606 28 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606: Actually you can't get the Marmot for the price I originally thought. After reading lots of positive things about MSR I think I'm going to go with my original choice and get the Holler.
ice.solo 28 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Ha! Jinxed myself too. Just been out 2 nights in a Twin Bros, only needs 4 pegs, snapped one.

3 left now of a pack of 13. Garbage.
 TobyA 28 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I must say the ground was very frozen so the other pegs I had also bent in my efforts to get them in - some Alpkit Ti ones and Alpkit Al ones, but, yeah - head of one of the MSR ones just snapped clean off. https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/295825842800574466/photo/1
OP LJ2606 28 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I've ordered the Holler today, I'll get some better pegs for it. Are titanium ones the best to go for? You can get a set of Alpkit ones for quite cheap.
ice.solo 28 Jan 2013
In reply to LJ2606:

Ti is maybe overkill, but the alpkit ones may work.
The other pegs i use from north face and BD are fine.
 sean1 03 Feb 2013
In reply to LJ2606:

Hi, Have you received the tent yet at what are your first impressions?
OP LJ2606 03 Feb 2013
In reply to sean1: Yes I received the Holler on thursday. I have only put it up in the garden so far but my first impressions are excellent. It's simple to put up and took about 10 minutes, although next time it will probably be quicker. The inner of the tent s huge, there's plenty of head room and easily enough room for three, although I only intend to use it for two so there will still br plenty of room to store gear. The two vestebules are a decent size and should provide ample room to store 3 packs in one and leave the other free to cook in. The overall quality of the tent feels excellent, the pegs included are MSR's own V pegs and these feel fairly strong to me. My only gripe would be that they only supply enough cord and afjusters for two guylines.
almost sane 03 Feb 2013
In reply to LJ2606:
My pegs-for-hard-ground are half a dozen Alpkit Spikes.
I have had them for a few years now, and have hammered them into all sorts of nasty stuff, and only now is one of them showing signs of starting to bend.

And, yes, one way that some manufacturers keep their official weights down is not to fit guys. I ended up fitting a couple of guy ropes to my MSR Hubba HP.
 sean1 03 Feb 2013
In reply to LJ2606:

Thanks for your reply. I was also looking at the holler tent. There is a good deal on them in the states. How many guide ropes can you fit. A older review I read about Msr tents was that been a more upright tent that they collected the wind quite harshly . I think they were lacking guide ropes probably in the centre. Do they have guide points there now? Thanks Sean
 David Barratt 03 Feb 2013
In reply to LJ2606: Got the MSR Hubba HP, can't praise it highly enough. I love it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...