UKC

Washing rock boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anyone put their rock boots through the washing machine?

If you have how have you found it affects the friction of the rubber? If at all.

Mine now smell so bad I am soon going to have the Americans knocking on my door searching for chemical weapons and WMD!

dale1968 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher: put washing powder in a pile inside, leave for 24 hours, use a vacuum cleaner to remove said powder, result sweet smelling shoes....
 the power 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher: once washed a pair of my 5.10's in a bucket with tech wash worked a treat.I've found washing 5.10 rubber makes it stickier
 SGD 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher: I do this all the time. I put my rock shoes in a pillow case and wash them on a low heat (my machine has a sports shoe setting which helps). It does clean them but -if they were really smelly beforehand they tend to end up smelling like cheap bacon flavoured crisps afterwards. Not as pungent as before but not great....it does fade as they dry, but not completely. (air dried not near a heat source) The rubber ends up super sticky again and I've never had any de-laminating problems.
 martinph78 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher: I'll save you the pink underwear/shirt/sweater problem:

Don't wash them with anything else!

Even after a couple of years or washing regularly my Red Chilli's STILL turn everything else in the washer pink. Who'd have guessed!

Will buy blue shoes next time

The rubber on mine grips better, but I guess taht's because it's clean rather than covered in mud and slime.
 Camm 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher:
I put mine through the wash, straight in on a 15 min wash, about 40 degrees, it seemed to shrink my 5.10s by half a size but my evolvs were fine.
Before, the evolvs were my tight shoes and the 510s were my all day shoes, now it's the other way around!!
 Rob Grant 25 Jan 2013
In reply to danrock101: I've done it loads of times with 5 10 anasazzis and sportiva katanas, miuras and miura VS. Always at 40 degrees. I've never had any problems and the rubber is mega sticky first time they are used post wash.
 Merlin 25 Jan 2013

The key to reduce the growth of the smell is to ensure they are dried of sweat at the end of each session (talc helps), and bowling alley type shoe bacteria killer will also work well.

Thanks all, will chuck them in the wash on thursday and see if that helps the smell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...