UKC

Sky kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Willie Ellerslike 26 Jan 2013
Just been looking at a picture in the paper of Chris Froome dressed from head to toe in black. Now I know nothings so cool as black, but does the Sky kit set a good example to ordinary riders especially youngsters? Anyone who drives must have noticed how hard it can be to see cyclists dressed in dark clothing. I know lots of kit has reflecting stuff but that doesn't help much if drivers are on dip lights or if its not really lighting up time, just a dull winters day. I think Sky should set a better example.
 dale1968 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Willie Ellerslike: you could be dressed like a xmas tree and they would still knock you off
 andy 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Willie Ellerslike: isn't there some evidence that black is actually quite easy to see against a grey background? I think that might have come from Rushby and his rubber dinghy sailing.
 Toby_W 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andy: yes, at dusk black stands out far better.

The important thing to remember is the good drivers will spot you in black or white and the others you just need to watch out for.

Cheers

Toby
 Liam M 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Willie Ellerslike: Maybe Farnese Vini need to be promoted more widely!
saul 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Willie Ellerslike:

Actually research suggests black to be among the most appropriate colours to wear whilst riding during daylight hours, which most wearing replica kits will do sunday club riders etc. Its all about contrast with the background you are riding against and a strong block of colour to define the your outline.
 Jim Hamilton 26 Jan 2013
In reply to saul:

what research is this ?
 stevez 26 Jan 2013

I think we have bigger fish to fry in the world of encouraging people to cycle, and making it safer, than worrying about what colour of kit Team Sky are wearing.
 andy 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Hamilton:
> (In reply to saul)
>
> what research is this ?

Don't know about research but didn't Rubbishy say yachting clothing is increasingly being made of black as it's easier to spot someone in the water?
saul 26 Jan 2013

http://hfs.sagepub.com/content/54/1/14

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22062342

The results are interesting in that they show the previously held assertion that a bright reflective jacket will improve rider conspicuity may not always be true ...

the message seems to be that the most conspicuous outfit will be dictated by the lighting conditions and local environment at the time, which may be extremely variable within the confines of even a fairly short ride.

saul 26 Jan 2013
In reply to saul:

sorry text is also taken from abstract, not my own words.
 subalpine 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Jim Hamilton)
> [...]
>
> Don't know about research but didn't Rubbishy say yachting clothing is increasingly being made of black as it's easier to spot someone in the water?

he was probably goofed up on EPO at the time.
does anyone know any stockists for their magic wheels?

Brass Nipples 26 Jan 2013

If you're referring to nighttime then modern LED bike lights do the job more than adequately. Next you'll be saying people shouldn't have black or dark blue cars, then you'll upset all the BMW drivers....
 subalpine 26 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance:
> (In reply to Willie Ellerslike)
>
> If you're referring to nighttime then modern LED bike lights do the job more than adequately.

modern LEDs do a good job of running me off the track if pointed towards me..
 Brass Nipples 26 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to A Game of Chance)
> [...]
>
> modern LEDs do a good job of running me off the track if pointed towards me..

I presume you mean off road ones or the helmet mounted ones? i hate those helmet mounted ones. Like you say they just rob you of all vision.

In reply to Toby_W:
> (In reply to andy) yes, at dusk black stands out far better.
>
> The important thing to remember is the good drivers will spot you in black or white and the other 99% you just need to watch out for.
>
> Cheers
>
> Toby

There you go corrected that for you.

Toby_W 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet: very good

Toby
 PGD 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Jim Hamilton)
> [...]
>
> Don't know about research but didn't Rubbishy say yachting clothing is increasingly being made of black as it's easier to spot someone in the water?

Not really sure about this. I paddle a bit and my wife often watches me come into a beach. She can always sees flashes on paddle blades and a white hat before the boat. I have reflective tape on my paddles.
I've never been on a rescue helicopter and understand why white is bad in a rough see but feel contrasting colours must be best.
I was suprised today when a saw a cyclist from a long way off with bright yellow overshoes. Most are black but the yellow really was a big difference.the flash/ flask for yellow shoes was amazing.

I cycle to work every day along lanes with no lights. When I do have the car I notice a very bright rear light and reflective tape( bright yellow doesn't reflect light)

SOLAS tape is really good. I have some and have asked drivers what they have seen. It is very reflective.
 PGD 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PGD: some of the iPad spell checks in my post are very annoying. Apologies.
 Toby_W 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PGD:
I agree, I still don't understand why they don't put more of that silver tape on cycle gear it's better than anything else.

Cheers

Toby
 Jim Hamilton 27 Jan 2013
In reply to saul:
> the message seems to be that the most conspicuous outfit will be dictated by the lighting conditions and local environment at the time, which may be extremely variable within the confines of even a fairly short ride.

or rather a motorcyclist dressed in black is more visible than one in white on an open road with a bright sky background (in the desert ?) but a rider in white is more visible in all other circumstances.
 alan wilson 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Willie Ellerslike: Wearers of Sky kit maybe need a slap upside the head anyway.
Willie Ellerslike 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Hamilton: At last - someone with some common sense. Whenever I'm driving and I don't see a cyclist till I'm closer than I'd like to be they're always wearing dark clothing and never wearing bright yellow. And I'm a driver whose always on the lookout for cyclists.
 Liam M 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby_W:
> (In reply to PGD)
> I agree, I still don't understand why they don't put more of that silver tape on cycle gear it's better than anything else.
>
> Cheers
>
> Toby

According to CW the rear logo on the back of the new Rapha kit is made with such reflective properties (though probably not just through the application of tape).
 andy 27 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Jim Hamilton) At last - someone with the same opinion as me.

Fixed that for you.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Jim Hamilton) At last - someone with some common sense. Whenever I'm driving and I don't see a cyclist till I'm closer than I'd like to be they're always wearing dark clothing and never wearing bright yellow. And I'm a driver whose always on the lookout for cyclists.

I agree willie, it'll be great when all car drivers are forced to drive one that is bright yellow, so we can see them.

Alun 27 Jan 2013

My goodness me, what a commment.

Taking you seriously for moment: apparently 'contrast' is more eye-catching then plain brightness, so Sky's bright blue stripe against the black might be more visible than a plain yellow jacket.

But, really, what a comment! Perhaps you should post on the Daily Mail website, I'm sure you'll find a more appreciative audience there.

People buying the latest Sky replica kit probably have more money than sense -- have you seen the price of that Rapha stuff.

I'll proudly wear my slightly tatty UKC top ( Oi Rubbishy what's happened with the new ones) - or my Southport CC blue and yellow kit in daylight. At night of in murky conditions at this time of the year I've a couple of winter weight bright yellow 'roubaix' tops that have got plenty of reflective bits on them. If there's a chance that the visibility might turn bad I make sure that I've got plenty of lights as well.
In reply to Alun: Hi Alun (and anyone else offended),
Sorry if I was a bit blunt and opinionated, just thought that was fairly mild compared to some of what I'm seeing on this website, I'm a bit new to it all, and anyways my excuse is it was my upbringing - brought up in a slum by Daily Express readers ) At least it wasn't the mail.
In reply to Lord of Starkness: If I'm allowed to reply, I agree with your decisions on clothing. I think you talk a lot of common sense . No to imply that anyone else doesnt.
I was just wondering about all them who don't think bright clothing is a good idea, do they have children who go out on bikes and are they happy for them to go out in black? Just a thought, not meaning to critisise.
 andy 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Willie Ellerslike: the colour of clothing's pretty irrelevant really, if it's poor light then a yellow coat won't make much difference from a distance. If it's even remotely dark i (and my kids) have at the very least a red light on the back. I have two small red leds on my helmet in case it gets dark during daylight hours, and i carry a little front light in the bag i carry with co2 canisters, multi-tool etc.

People riding at dusk with no lights are far more of a liability than black jerseys.

No probs at all. I enjoy a good rant like the next man! -- I was just having a pop at the excessive prices of replica team kit. It's also against 'the rules' - #17 --http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
 andy 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Rapha are doing some much cheaper stuff in the Sky design - i do love their clobber though, but have to wait for the sales to buy any!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...