UKC

Facebook's 100 influential albums

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 26 Jan 2013
This one has been doing the rounds today. Anyone else fall for it?
I'm quite proud of the fact that I only own 6 out of the 100 middle of the road rock/pop albums on the Facebook quiz.

E
 Clarence 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

Not on facebook, what are they?
 Mike-W-99 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
Its an interesting list, we seem to have 14.

Technique is a great New Order album however.
OP Enty 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to Enty)
> Its an interesting list, we seem to have 14.
>
> Technique is a great New Order album however.

My OP is slightly tongue in cheek but that New Order album is one of my 6.

E
 Mike-W-99 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
I'd figured that. The quick flick through them suggested someone who liked a lot of music from the 90s.
 stevieb 26 Jan 2013
Yay, I'm winning (or losing) with 22.
Surprised to see Dexy's and The The on there. Not sure who they influenced, but both great albums.
 pebbles 27 Jan 2013
>
> Technique is a great New Order album however.

Not half s good as "Low"

Jon Stewart 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'm not on Facebook. I take it The Queen Is Dead is number one?
OP Enty 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

No. 90 but I'm not sure they are in order. It's one of my 6 though ha ha....

E
nickyrannoch 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

just the ten for me.

it sounds like an incredibly ignorant thing to say - and probably is - but im of an age where all my bowie, hendrix, dylan, led zep etc is on compilation albums and i have never felt the need to dig any deeper.

also having piper at the gates of dawn as the one pink floyd entry is just trying too hard to be cool.
 Blue Straggler 27 Jan 2013

I thought Technique marked the point at which New Order were INFLUENCED rather than being INFLUENTIAL (and that's not a criticism of Technique, btw)

I think Power, Corruption and Lies was probably more influential.

I have not seen this list but from what's written in this thread, I bet MBV's Loveless is up there.
 PontiusPirate 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

Oh dear: 22 out of 100 - it's higher if I count the record collection of a friend that I've got on long-term loan!!!!

PP.
In reply to Enty:

I have 14, though to be honest my "Remain in Light" was bought on cassette last year in a charity shop because it was 20p, and it doesn't play properly.

How many of those 14 I actually like, is a different matter. Most of them were bought "after the fact" because it seemed that everyone was going on about how essential they are and how no indie kid should be without such classics.

I am happy to say that I fell for rubbish like Screamadelica neither first time round nor during its multiple revivals and reassessments!
 Toby S 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

44 of 'em! But then I hoard music and have not always been particularly discerning! Struggled to see what Oasis had influenced other than more Beatles rip off pish.
In reply to Toby S:
> Struggled to see what Oasis had influenced other than more Beatles rip off pish.

Never mind Oasis, there's actually some albums on there that are really great, but didn't "influence" much (although maybe this is someone's list of albums that influenced them as a person rather than influencing other music?)

Toby S 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I wondered that too, I like Slowdive but wasn't sure what impact they had on music other than other smaller bands in the shoegazer scene at the time.

And if you're going to have Back in Black by AC/DC then the likes of Metallica's 'Kill 'em All' or 'MoP' should really be in there too as they genuinely were influential.
nickyrannoch 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby S:

oasis have influenced almost every british guitar band of the last 10-15 years. im not saying this is a good thing.

the greatest trick the gallaghers ever played was getting people to parrot the the line they are somehow like the beatles.more like f*cking slade!!
 Bulls Crack 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
> This one has been doing the rounds today. Anyone else fall for it?
> I'm quite proud of the fact that I only own 6 out of the 100 middle of the road rock/pop albums on the Facebook quiz.
>
>
>
> E

Considering most of them weren't commercial pop records does that mean you own loads of Stock Aitken Waterman or that you're an alternative music snob?
OP Enty 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Of course.

E
 Ava Adore 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

Flatly refusing to look at the list and sticking to playing the music I like.

(Also, fairly certain that my cheesy taste in music won't have made it anywhere near anyone's top 100)
 Blue Straggler 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
>
> Flatly refusing to look at the list and sticking to playing the music I like.
>
> (Also, fairly certain that my cheesy taste in music won't have made it anywhere near anyone's top 100)

Don't worry, that Smashing Pumpkins bollocks that has 2 good songs buried in 2 whole CDs of quagmire, is in there...
OP Enty 28 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> Don't worry, that Smashing Pumpkins bollocks that has 2 good songs buried in 2 whole CDs of quagmire, is in there...

Like ^^^

E
 Ava Adore 28 Jan 2013

Pssst....despite my user name, I don't actually like SP
 Philip 28 Jan 2013
Anyone got a link to the list, even better a spotify playlist. I saw the app on my brothers Facebook but I don't run any apps on FB.
 John H Bull 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:
I got 80, and that didn't include some I once owned. Must get out more.

Nice to see the Mighty Fall in there, even though it's the wrong album.

Seems to me that some of these albums (e.g. Pere Ubu, John Cale, Roy Harper) had little influence at all, except on music journalists and other people who should get out more.
Jimbo W 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Enty:

Is it just me who thinks this list is utterly impoverished? I got 18.
 stevieb 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Philip:
See if this works without facebook - http://www.influentialalbums.com/

I thought it was quite an interesting list, not just the usual suspects, but it clearly helps to be white, male and into indie music in the 80s and 90s.
 goose299 28 Jan 2013
In reply to stevieb:
That link try's to get you to sign in via Facebook too
 Blue Straggler 29 Jan 2013
In reply to goose299:

Not for me. There is a default ticked box "share my activity on my Facebook timeline", deselect that and you can just scroll the list, tick the ones you own and it keeps count and gives you option at the end to "share" your result on Facebook. I did it this way.
Windows 7, Google Chrome
 goose299 29 Jan 2013
Yeh, did that and it worked fine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...