Culture Bunker forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Life of Pi

Gordon Stainforth - on 29 Jan 2013
OK, perhaps a bit behind the times, but I only saw it tonight, and see that a previous 'Life of Pi' thread has now been archived. So thought it might be worth starting again.

Anyway, it gets the big thumbs up from me. As Wonko the Sane put it in the previous thread: "... it is pretty faithful to the book. Cinematography is VERY good with a few very minor exceptions in a few of the life boat scenes. But the CGI is seamless.... possibly because you're abosrbed in the story. Possibly because it's the emaciated tiger that gets the most CGI shots.... Some people say it's too overtly religious. I see it more as a window into the mind of someone who looks at the world differently.'

I'd say '... someone who sees the world imaginatively, working at different levels. Which is summed up perfectly by the deliberately ambiguous ending.'

Beyond all that, it's a very, very beautiful movie that has a lot to say about our relationship with the natural world, and how we treat so-perceived 'lesser species'. Cinematically and technically, it's really fantastic. Here CGI is used for no other purpose but to recreate the fantastical novel as well as possible. Recently I saw The Hobbit and I was awestruck with admiration for its CGI alone and its sheer visual imagination, but there the CGI plays no other purpose but to tell a story of utter, meaningless tosh (with a lovely central character as about its only redeeming story feature.) In Life of Pi the seamless, mostly invisible CGI is used to tell a much more interesting and thought-provoking tale. In a strange way it has several things in common with 2001. It feels very different from most movies, and takes you into its own, other world; its story is very simple, with broad, abstract themes; it leaves you 'thinking big' about some of the more interesting fundamental mysteries of life and man's relationship with nature.

Anyhow, in agreement with Wonko, I'd say 'Go see it' if you're a fan of the book. Well, really, it's more than that, it's a must-see movie because it is a step forward in movie art.
... not showing 33 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums