/ Broken car key

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Captain Gear - on 29 Jan 2013
I managed to break my car key last night and don't have a spare.

Fortunately I've got both both pieces still.

I've just rang an auto locksmith who has told me to go to Timpsons or whereever and they will cut me a new key, which I can fit the immobilisers chip for the old key to.

However last time I tried this (when I temporarily lost my car keys) the guy at Timpsons refused to cut me one, stating it was illegal. I told this to the auto locksmith, who said it was "tosh."

Anyone got any expirence of this?

Cheers,
gethin_allen on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Captain Gear:
The man in timpsons is talking crap. He just wants to sell you a new key with chip for ~40. Try a different locksmith.
Nicola - on 29 Jan 2013

I had no problem when I snapped my camper van key. However the first one didn't work so I went to another key cutter to try again. No one mentioned anything about it being illegal.
Captain Gear - on 29 Jan 2013
Does anyone know how the immobilisers chips work?

If the broken key stub is attached to the new key via a key ring, will the car still work?

Or does the immobilisers need to be attached to the actual key to start the engine?
nniff - on 29 Jan 2013

It's a proximity thing - there will be a little cylinder or similar inside you old key which you need to remove and either fit to your new key or fix permanently to a suitable spot on the steering column/ignition (which of course makes your car easier to steal). Quite how close it needs to be to the corresponding part in the ignition varies from car to car
jkarran - on 29 Jan 2013

> Does anyone know how the immobilisers chips work?
> If the broken key stub is attached to the new key via a key ring, will the car still work?

There's an antenna loop in the steering column, the key just has to be close. How close will be a matter for experimentation but you should be ok. If hanging it on a key ring fails tape the old key stump to the new one while you arrange for a proper replacement.

jk
Fraser on 29 Jan 2013

Sounds like nonsense to me. Ask him exactly which law he thinks he'd be breaking.
Neil Williams - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Fraser:

If it's a patented key (e.g. Avocet ABS, Mul-T-Lock etc) he won't be able to obtain blanks unless licenced, so those are protected in law to that extent.

Neil
Neil Williams - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

(Don't know if any of the car key systems are patented though)

Neil
pff - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Captain Gear: Happened me last year,brought it to a small motor factor and he cut a new one straight away.Found out later a previous owner disabled the Imobiliser or something,so i didnt have to bother with fob on old key.I got another spare key .Total = 10
What car is it?
If finding a blank is the problem you can usually find them on E-bay.
Older fords have a clip-on/off bit with the fob so you can just cut a new key and clip the original fob on if you damage a key.
When I needed a new key I went to timpsons and they quoted my 75 then went to a place in my local morrisons in Sheffield and got one for 44, including programming the chip.
Jenny C on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Captain Gear: Never had any luck with getting chips programmed by anyone other than the dealer :(
That said I have more than once got a basic key cut at the likes of Timpsons, so at least I have a spare door key incase I do my Mum's trick of locking my handbag (with keys) in the boot.
In reply to Jenny C:
"Never had any luck with getting chips programmed by anyone other than the dealer"
I had a friend who was a Fiat dealer show me how to do it.
It's like a masons handshake with the key and the car ignition.
ads.ukclimbing.com
deepsoup - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Jenny C:
> Never had any luck with getting chips programmed by anyone other than the dealer :(

For the immobiliser chip only, H Harrold & Sons (the locksmith on Shalesmoor, short walk from the Foundry) can do that. If it has a 'plip' central locking remote too, that's more difficult but there are auto locksmiths out there who can do it much more cheaply than a main dealer. I've used one in Nottingham before, um... this lot: http://www.3dgroupuk.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.