UKC

Barber shop price index

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 29 Jan 2013
£9 to get my melon cut at Lebanese George's place at Fulham Broadway, SW London

Was £8 back in 2005, the cheeky c*nt.

dale1968 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: shave your head; cost nothing
OP Cú Chullain 29 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968:
> (In reply to Cú Chullain) shave your head; cost nothing

I would be like Samson, it was traumatic enough getting rid of my locks after my Africa jaunt but to buzz the whole lot off would take some effort.
 Philip 29 Jan 2013
The angry racist biker ex-policeman barber that I used to go to (until he crossed the line referring to coloured delivery driver who'd parked like a w*nker outside) charged £6 but I paid £7.

Now I've switched to a bloke in the shop attached to the florist I use, he charged £7. He did a better job and seemed more normal.

More important is how often do you go? My wife used a hairdresser in the village near her home. She paid about £5 once a year (darkest Herefordshire), she new the owner. Imagine her shock when my mum tells her she pays £40 every few months (Kent). She now pays about £30 once a year.

All prices for Staffordshire not that London unless otherwise stated.
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I bought clippers for 25 quid from boots. With someone who is at least half coordinated at the helm and the maximum rake attached to the clipper... my hair cuts are now free. And my head is far from shaved!

You really can't tell the difference between my current hair and my hair last time it was cut pro.
 owlart 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: Costs me £7 every few months here. As we get less and less hair as we get older, we should get discounts!
 Steve John B 29 Jan 2013
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer: I bought some Woolworths bargain own brand clippers for £1 when they were shutting down. You'd cut more hair with a spoon.

Have just gone back to using Wahl clippers at home after paying £9 for a "number 3 all over please mate". I'm too scared to use the £3 places in Bradford.
 LaMentalist 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:
> £9 to get my melon cut at Lebanese George's place at Fulham Broadway, SW London
>
> Was £8 back in 2005, the cheeky c*nt.

Thats not bad for smokey !

My local dude Christos stings me £7.50 & I'm good friend of the family . Its well worth it as you get an update on his garden , this bloke is 74 years old now and he is a hoot , he looks like Joe Pesci & sounds like Stavros . Bargain !

The last time I let a girlfriend cut it I couldn't go out for 2 weeks after ! Very amusing Sarah thank you very much you silly b@stard .....

When I'm in Poole I go & see Chinese Elvis its not cheap but if you give him a tip he'll sing you a song as well . Top value I say .
 Indy 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:
Had my hair cut at lunch time at a place along side the theatre showing singing in the rain. Cost £6. and pretty decent at that. Used to be a fiver.
 Little Brew 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: Do as the Hubby does, last haircut he had was back in 2008, cost him £5. His Alopecia is now so bad he has no hair. and i mean NO HAIR!!!
 The New NickB 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

When I used to just get a number one every couple of weeks it cost me £3 and was less hassle than clippers at home.

Now it costs me £8.50 for a proper hair cut at the same place, ever six weeks or so.
 Sam_in_Leeds 29 Jan 2013
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
> (In reply to Cú Chullain)
>
> I bought clippers for 25 quid from boots. With someone who is at least half coordinated at the helm and the maximum rake attached to the clipper... my hair cuts are now free. And my head is far from shaved!
>
> You really can't tell the difference between my current hair and my hair last time it was cut pro.

I find that after 10 year of head shaving it's worth paying the £4 to the Thai/Fillipino woman (She doesn't speak english but she's a whiz with the clippers) to avoid all the bloody mess and finding hairs over everything for the next month (until it's time to get it done again)

My Wahls cost about £15 many years ago. I cut my own hair, blending from 2 to 5, and trimming the neckline and around the ears. I've never messed it up too badly... yet...

It still takes me a few goes to figure out how to move the clippers when looking in the mirror to trim around the ears. Sometimes it helps not to look...
 Dauphin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

£16 ***** of London, Green Lanes. £24 with a shave. No longer ***** of London but I think he rents the shop to some young Turks or would that be Kurds. I used to love his angle on the street as the last Cypriot shop owner now surrounded by Kurdish heroin dealers, pimps and organized criminals laundering their ill gotten gains through oddly empty jewelry businesses.

D

Dax H 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: The last time I had a hair cut it cost £2.50 from Martin's barbers in Farsley (village between Leeds and Bradford).
A proper barbers, no women unless they were bringing their sin in, your only option was short back and sides and he used a cut throat like a ninja to do the back of the neck.
The lino floor was even worn in a horse shoe round the chair.
Great place. This was in the early 90s though, its now the urban man salon.

AlasdairM 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Dauphin: you'll pay £25 in the City in any of the barbers there. I normally pay £7 in Edinburgh so this inflated price came as quite a surprise to me.
 Dauphin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to AlasdairM:

I almost cried when I was asked for £16 for a no 2 clipper job in Soho 2004. It's the rent he said in defence.

Bimble 29 Jan 2013

Same here, £20 clippers from Boots in the January sale, grade 4 all over twice a month in the bathroom. Saves me paying a tenner at the barbers for the same, and they've paid for themselves already.
 Blue Straggler 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

Sounds like the "rebirth" of Neo in The Matrix!
 bluebealach 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: £8 (Anchorsholme -Blackpool) but I get an hour in the chair at my convenience and get to chat about cars, beer football and burds........not necessarily in that order. Have it cut every every 4 weeks.
 cuppatea 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I used to do my own haircuts with some clippers, now I'm old(er) I'm not allowed to. Something about looking like a football hooligan
I currently pay 10 quid every 3 or 4 months.

In reply to Steve John B:
> I'm too scared to use the £3 places in Bradford.

Back in my wild and fearless days of youth I had a cut throat shave from a Bratfud barber (just down from Pickwicks opposite the Oasis kebab shop if it's still there on Morley Street..)

Not sure what it cost, and even more not sure I'd do it again!

The same barber (Not Berber) gave me a grade 2 after I decided to get rid of my oh so long pony tail. Don't judge. It was the 90's.

Albert Tatlock 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

£ 4.50 at Talib's Falinge Rochdale,he even does your eyebrows and ear hair at that price.
 Dauphin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to cuppatea:

Taciturn short Pakistani fellow?

D
 cuppatea 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

Could well have been! Don't remember him bring very happy, but it was a while ago.
 thin bob 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:
£6 at some 'sit down & shut up' place on Goodge St about 6 years ago..
then I saw a 'supercuts' in a shopping centre.."that'll be cheap" I thought....£13!!
Even the local barbers & unisex places round here in quite-poshland only charge £9 for a scissor cut, cut-throat clean & extraneous eyebrow pruning..
 Nathan Adam 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: Used to cost me £3 when i got it shaved all over at a 1, but now I have gorgeous locks it costs me £6 whenever the scissors need to come out.
 Richard Carter 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Only £5 here

Twice a year though, so it soon adds up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...