UKC

Complete loss of e-mail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 29 Jan 2013
This means that all the contacts in my address book are lost, and I have a new address alanevans64@gmail.com.
Please as many of you as know me send me a mail so I can build up an address book again.
God knows what happened but I've taken three days trying to recover it before taking this step of setting up a new one.
Look forward to hearting from you mate and please can you spread the word around.
This is not a spam, I am not clever enough to do that, probably why it has happened in the first place, I think I mistyped the password wrong once and then got my secret question (first car, ford prefect, actually ford popular) wrong. Help by mailing in if you get chance
OP Al Evans 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Bump, can somebody e-mail me please, just say Hi Al or something.
 d_b 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

You have mail.

putting an email address on a public forum is a great way to get spammed. Good thing google run decent filters.
 Andy Hardy 30 Jan 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>

> putting an email address on a public forum is a great way to get spammed. Good thing google run decent filters.

+1. If you've changed your email account on your profile to the new one, you can get people to email via the link next to your name, and Sam Spam is kept at bay for a little while longer.
OP Al Evans 30 Jan 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: THanks David it worked fine, now anybody else want to be in my address book?
OP Al Evans 30 Jan 2013
In reply to 999thAndy: I don't know how to do that?
 Ava Adore 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

can't email from work - will try to remember to do from home later
Jim at Work 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
there is a folder/file in windows that holds all the addresses, which may allow you to recover them. I can look it up (location wise) if no-one cleverer knows already, or has a better idea.
KevinD 30 Jan 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

yes. if i were you Al i would send a quick note to the moderators asking them to move it to down the pub.

as for your address book. exactly what email was it since you might be able to recover it (particularly if held locally).
 Hairy Pete 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> I think I mistyped the password wrong once and then got my secret question (first car, ford prefect, actually ford popular) wrong.

Al, most email services do not lock you out permanently for mistyping a password. There is often a time-delay before you can make another attempt at gaining access (usually several minutes, but gmail says 5 days FFS!). The point is that your original account is probably still active, but you'll have to wait a while before attempting to log-in. But more important, you've now publicly issued your secret question! So anybody with your account name (probably not too difficult to guess) can now access your original account.

I would get the mods to remove this thread asap.

Andy Hardy 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

If you edit your profile, you can change your email address (near the top of the form, I just looked)
OP Al Evans 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete: Except they don't have my password!
 Hairy Pete 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Hairy Pete) Except they don't have my password!

Isn't that the point of having the secret question? i.e. You, or they, try to login to your account, password fails, you or they then use the secret question to reset the password. That's usually how it works, although I have to insert the caveat that I don't use gmail - so the details might be different.
 MikeTS 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Al

Take care. Someone got into my wife's hotmail recently and persuaded our bank to send 60,000 USD their account in Singapore.

We got our money back. The bank officer lost his job.

regards

mike
OP Al Evans 31 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeTS: OK. after over a week of sending info back and forth I have me e-mail reinstated so all of you that are ever likely to can use the e-mail address that you know. I have no idea what answer to what question suddenly decided them to reinstate it, I'm just glad that now I have all my contacts back, and they have me back too. Plus things like my CC newsletter etc will still be accessible.
OP Al Evans 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: By the way Mike sorry about your problem but I never use the web for any form of financial transactions, I just don't trust it enough.
 MikeTS 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Nor do I. But the point is that someone else took over our email identity and conned the bank. So now I warn everyone who has had strange things happen with their email about this.
 MG 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Really!? I can't remeber when I did anything else!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...