/ Grade I - II in the Lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
a crap climber - on 30 Jan 2013
I was planning on taking a mate up something grade I or II in the Lakes tomorrow. I haven't been able to get out and about recently, so don't know how conditions are looking. Does anyone know if there'll be anything in reasonable nick, or should I just admit defeat and go for a walk?
A Mountain Journey - on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a crap climber: Not been up high for a few days. But it's currently lashing it down and blowing a gale in Ambleside. Warmed up a lot too. Likely that any snow left will be slushy.
paraffin on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a crap climber:
Hi,

currently warmed up a bit. Plenty of drifted snow in N & E aspects. Think the warm spell will have settled the snow pack down - as on noon Monday it was very very unstable in gullies.

Forecast is for the weather to cool down by Friday - should nip things up nicely for the weekend.



w ov
Carolyn - on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to parafinn:

Worth remembering that some bits of lakes had far more snow to start with - NW corner have relatively little (and has mainly disappeared from the glimpses I've managed through the cloud, although possibly thin gullies lines left), whereas further south and further east both had more to start with, so there's more chance of being some left.
paraffin on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

thanks for that.

After 9 days in a row on the Fells - I have a pretty good picture of what snow bulid up is like and what remains - check out the Webcam on Raise which is back up running
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/page6.html

and regular reports from Raise here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

Davie
IainFP on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a crap climber:
> I was planning on taking a mate up something grade I or II in the Lakes tomorrow.

It'll be a grim day on the hill tomorrow;
http://www.mwis.org.uk/ld.php?fdate=130131
Simon Caldwell - on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a crap climber:

Have you seen the forecast for tomorrow?
Westerly gales, with either rain (MWIS) or snow (Met office) - either way, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for decent safe climbing conditions. Personally I'd go for a walk (or do some nav practice if conditions are too vile to go high).
a crap climber - on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a crap climber:
Managed to re-arrange for Friday, so fingers crossed for less wind and some re-frozen slush
ads.ukclimbing.com
nickcj - on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to a crap climber:

I was at Red Tarn today and it was very windy with hail and aperture showers. There is plenty if snow still around up there but it really needs to get colder and refreeze before anything is worth climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.