UKC

What band.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 30 Jan 2013
did you not manage to get round to seeing and you're gutted that you didn't?

For me it was the Smiths. Saw loads of the cure and the like and went to book tickets a couple of times but other things cropped up.
 The Pylon King 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

The Stranglers 1979
 Hairy Pete 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni: Led Zep, when they played Knebworth. Didn't really have the cash at the time and thought "nah, I'll wait till they play next year". Next year never happened for Bonham.

Clarence 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Pre-Wall Pink Floyd but I was a bit young at the time. It all went a bit Pete Tong after that one.
 goose299 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Kiss (was hungover as hell and had spent the day in the Australian sun)
Blue (got my dates mixed up and thought it was the weekend after. Gutted when my mate rang up to see if I had a good time)
 goose299 30 Jan 2013
In reply to goose299:
Blur even. Damn predictive text on my iPod
I am definitely not, not was I ever a fan of Blue
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Had tickets to see Nirvana at the then G-Mex. Gig was planned for some time summer '94. Oops.
 Lankyman 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni: I got fed up waiting in the ticket queue for Thin Lizzy then Phil Lynott went and died.
In reply to Denni: The Tansads. Shame, that; but something cropped up, as it does.

T.
 Fredt 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Talking Heads
 Tom Last 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Yep also had plans for Nirvana '94 - dash it!
 winhill 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Butthole Surfers
 Phil West 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Aerosmith. My last real opportunity was in the early 90s (Pump tour) but couldn't really afford it at the time. It'll be different if I get the opportunity again...
Kipper 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

My Bieber tickets have just turned up so if you want to make sure you don't miss this one, make me an offer.....
 Enty 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Joy Division. Missed them by a couple of years (bit too young) then tried to make up for it by going to every New Order gig I possibly could.

E
 pamph 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Karl Lunt:
> (In reply to Denni) I got fed up waiting in the ticket queue for Thin Lizzy then Phil Lynott went and died.

Just to rub it in, I saw Thin Lizzy live in the NAAFI in RAF Congingsby in 1973 and there were only about 50 or 60 people there! To be honest, the supporting band were better but I can't for the life of remeber who they were. Oh, and I think I paid something like a quid to get in!
Removed User 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Johnny Otway and Wild Willie Barret at St Albans civic centre in 1982.

And I've probably misspelt the names!
 ripper 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni: The Chords circa 1980. The Who around the same time - was offered two tickets but couldn't decide which mate to take so ended up not going at all. Echo & the Bunnymen around '83 or so - a group of my mates were going, I declined coz I'd arranged to meet this girl I fancied, turned nothing ever came of it (but I did get to see the Bunnymen years later when they reformed)
 Blue Straggler 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

HangedUp and Life Without Buildings.

Apart from those two, I have (not being smug here btw) seen every band that I ever wanted to see (it was looking a bit unlikely regarding Iris DeMent at one point, but then she played a few dates in Ireland in 2008 - the only time I've ever crossed a body of water solely to go to a gig)
In reply to Denni: Joy Division.
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserDenni)
>
> Johnny Otway and Wild Willie Barret at St Albans civic centre in 1982.
>
> And I've probably misspelt the names!

Nope you nailed them..

Have you seen "Otway the movie?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357748/

ice.solo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

the second night of 2 when The Residents played in Sydney.
after seeing them the first time i knew id better see them again the next night...only to be told id f*cked up the dates and that WAS the second night.
what an idiot.

Tom Valentine 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Huh! I used to cross the Menai Straits regularly to see bands like Family, Heads Hands &Feet, and Humble Pie.
 higher.alpine 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:
Soundgarden, the full post-Syd Pink Floyd, Manic Street Preachers, Deep Purple w/Ritche Blackmore, and Nirvana!
 wilkie14c 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:
Its sad when a band member dies before you get to see them but a few years back during Gay Pride weekend the cheeky girls 'performed' on a makeshift stage on our works carpark and I had the misfortune to have have to supervise the event. I wished that one of the girls had keeled over and f*cking died, I really did.
For me I guess I was young enough and had the means to have got myself to Black Sabbath, Judas Priest & Dire Straits but I never did. I have dropped lucky on something I thought would never happen though. My dad had the 'Quo-Live!' album when I was exploring music as a kid and I remember thinking - wooo that sounds ace! Still gets played now on the ipod. anywhoo, the Quo have made up their differences and are playing 8 dates this year with the original 'frantic four' Rossi, Parfit, Lancaster and Coghlan and the set list will pretty much be the 'Quo-Live!' album. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that'd happen.
Its my old mans 70th B'day the same month as the Manchester gig. Guess what I've got me dad for his big day? :-D
 The New NickB 31 Jan 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Had tickets to see Nirvana at the then G-Mex. Gig was planned for some time summer '94. Oops.

I also had tickets for this. I managed to see the Manics before Richie Edwards disappearance, somewhat by accident, my ex-wife was always very jealous of this fact.
 Al Evans 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User: Saw them together when I was a lad, at a youth clib thats how long ago it was, but John Otway is still gigging and still brilliant, saw him a year or so back with Chris the Tall (who appeared on one of his records).
In reply to ice.solo:
Unlucky ! The Residents are special and I acknowledge your good taste.....
ice.solo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to I like climbing:

aha, a fellow Residents fan! always good to know.
yes, what i saw was fantastic stuff. incredible musicians. they had 'the fireman set' happening and all.

damn, im inspired to start a Residents thread. watch it die...
 Chris the Tall 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserDenni)
>
> Johnny Otway and Wild Willie Barret at St Albans civic centre in 1982.
>
They're playing the Greystones in Sheffield soon

"The set remains the same"

Tom Last 31 Jan 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to MonkeyPuzzle)
> [...]
>
> I managed to see the Manics before Richie Edwards disappearance, somewhat by accident,

Me too, they were incredibly boring...
pasbury 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

Godflesh supporting Nirvana (Bleach era) - I broke my arm in a motorcycle accident earlier that day.
Sugar - deparate battle to get tickets but failed
Sleater Kinney - split up days before the gig
Melt Banana - I turned up at the venue a day late
White stripes - just never got round to it - too late now
In reply to ice.solo:
Sounds great ! Wish I'd been there !
 Blue Straggler 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Huh! I used to cross the Menai Straits regularly to see bands like Family, Heads Hands &Feet, and Humble Pie.

Oh, well I have crossed the Thames a few times for gigs but I kind of meant "body of water that required a ship or aeroplane to cross"
(got the ferry to Isle of Wight for Bestival 2008 but I was not there for any specific band so it does not count)
 Blue Straggler 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pasbury:
>
> Sleater Kinney - split up days before the gig

I thought they honoured all their live commitments remaining after announcing their "hiatus"?
Anyway I think it was said at the time that their last few shows were somewhat lacklustre. I thought the writing was on the wall way back in summer 2005 when they played at the ICA, there was a body language thing going on that suggested Janet and Carrie were kind of snubbing Corin badly (that said, they did play a great set that night - sorry!)
 Tom Valentine 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I know , I was just getting sentimental about one of the best periods of my life.

Just like they say, nothing good ever lasts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...