UKC

Ridge in nick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 30 Jan 2013
The A1 climbing conditions of last week have dissolved but have left the snowpack & crest saturated & now refreezing rapidly.
Weather breaking again on Sunday so be fast.
 Brass Nipples 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Thought you meant the a1 road when I first read it. Have you got any pics from today to share?
 Jon Wylie 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Im looking for a partner if anyones interested-please refer to my post in "lifts and partners"

thanks again Mike for the email info

Jon
OP Mike Lates 30 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance: Gary @ tarmachan guiding sent me shots from Banachdaich today but nothing from the top (I guess they were in cloud). I've posted it but won't give many clues to the crest conditions. Definitely majority snow still despite thaw and anything coming down from now on will be white.
 Nathan Adam 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Was incredibly windy today, could barely cycle my bike into Broadford this afternoon, wouldn't fancy being out in it. Top of Blaven and also Gillean was peeking out of the clouds every now and then and they're both still covered in snow. Hopefully get out on Saturday and see what its looking like !
OP Mike Lates 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: yep i was shocked that gary said banachdaich was fine! worst gusts i can remember for a long time
 Nathan Adam 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: If your up for a day out next week then give me a shout, off Monday and possibly Wednesday.
OP Mike Lates 31 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance: We had a wet approach and descent on Ghreadaidh but more than worthwhile for a romp up Eag Dubh to reach an immaculate crest. Neve just firming up but not scarily hard, wee powder drifts a matter of inches deep not feet. Straight-lining over summer hazards was incredible and An Dorus was nearly a walkthrough!
Hope moderators manage to get the shot I've posted up soon enough to inspire.
OP Mike Lates 31 Jan 2013
 Andrew Barker 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

We traversed An Caisteal on Saturday. Plenty of good hard snow but also a lot of new powder. The gap between Bhairnich and An Caisteal was nowhere near full of snow and the snow on the ascent out of the gap was a bit cruddy. Having said all that it was a fantastic day with sustained interest. Crossing the next two gaps was pretty exciting! The crest and east side had a lot of new soft snow on them and the west side was scoured old snow with a various-sized drifts of new snow. The new snow formations on the east side of the crest were beautiful.

Met Office showing a lot of new snow coming down this week so we're heading back up on Friday or Saturday to see the results.
OP Mike Lates 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Andrew Barker: Yep things didn't pan out as expected; that new powder had me running away from the final knife-edge on Mhiccoinnich but, like you said, a superb day. The sugary old snow is a blow to climbing much steep just now.
Thaw right to the tops yesterday and freezing level back down to foot of the Bhasteir gorge today certainly cemented the snow pack down.
See you at the weekend..
 cas smerdon 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Mike can you keep us up to date on conditions throught the week. Are you getting the promised snow and is it freezing? Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...