UKC

NEWS: Troll Wall in Winter for Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Jan 2013
Andy Kirkpatrick leading on the Troll Wall 2013, 4 kbAndy Kirkpatrick, Aleksander Gamme and Tormod Granheim have made what is thought to be the first winter ascent, and fourth ascent overall of the 18 pitch route Suser Gjennom Harryland (A3 6 650m) on Troll Wall, Norway.

"I can't believe no one has frostbite as it's been close to -20 for two weeks..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67778
Boulders@Cardiff 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Andy and team, awesome effort! Thanks for keeping us all updated on Facebook and Twitter along the way!
 Ramblin dave 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Andy K: freezing off extremities other climbers can't reach.

Top effort!
 BALD EAGLE 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Presuming this is not a <groan> troll then top effort from Andy + team!
 Kyuzo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Absolutely fantastic! Sounds harrowing, looking forward to reading more about this.
 Tom Last 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

What a maniac. Top man.
In reply to Southern Man:

Yes, a fantastic effort ... and you surely have to be a maniac to be climbing at those subzero temperatures in such a grim, forbidding place. ... I was fascinated to see, really obvious, in the middle of the fourth of Andy's great pix, the 'cairned terrace' off the Fiva Route... All a teensy bit foreshortened )
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I meant of not off
ice.solo 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome. cant wait to hear him tell the tale.
Really inspiring stuff.
 Brendan 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Yes, let's hope he writes another book.
 Wft 31 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: well done Andy, can't be worse than north hull
 Dave Garnett 01 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

When I was out in Norway two weeks ago it was officially too cold to ski, let alone climb!
 TobyA 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett: It's interesting they must have come down a few days ago because someone was saying just yesterday that the same low that brought the big thaw to the UK, had swept in across all the Norway/Sweden ski area meaning very 'Scottish' conditions even up high. We got the end of it here in Finland over the last few days with temps above freezing. I jumped last night when I heard a big bang - it was the garage roof avalanching!
 robinsi197 01 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

This (below) is messing with my head:

"This time I climbed it with two non-climbers (their first big wall!) ...
I've never climbed with either of them (Aleks only climbs indoors)"

Awesome.
Lukas V-L 01 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody amazing effort that.
 Milesy 01 Feb 2013
Impressive effort. That sort of climbing in 8000m peak boots. Wow.
 Taurig 01 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Cracking stuff. I think when you're in Olympus Mons and gardening knee pads you're not f*cking around!
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Watching that video makes me think the same thing I always do when ever I hear Andy Kirkpatrick...he somehow manages to be a utterly inspirational, a legend of the sport AND the sort of guy you'd enjoy just chatting with over a beer.

Good work that man.
 Milesy 01 Feb 2013
It is just how in his stride it all is that is awe inspiring.... "so I was moving up on a sky hook on a wobbly flake" etc lol. He could be doing real damage out in the greater ranges as well.
 Eärendel F. 01 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Great work! I remember seeing this impressive wall in the summer. I imagine it is safer in the winter. Amazing!
In reply to UKC News: Nice pics, good effort. Ideal training for more Patagonian winter action perhaps Andy ? Rather you than me.
Salamander 04 Feb 2013
Third picture looks like a bit of a rope cutter - eek !
 tony howard 05 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: great effort Andy. Nutty as a fruitcake! Remind me to buy you a pint.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...