Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Paying out rope to leader with a Wild Country SRC - safe?

iksander on 31 Jan 2013
Hi,

Last night one of the floor walkers picked me up when belaying a leader with my SRC for taking my hand off the dead rope when paying out slack.

I was cradling the SRC with my left hand and pulling up the live rope with my right. I didn't think I was doing it wrong, so I checked the instructions again:

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/download/files/Instruction_Booklets/F750_QA_1_MARCH99_SRC.pdf

"Paying Out the Rope (see diagram D) : This technique should be used when paying out rope to a lead climber. Practice holding the SRC/Belay Master system exactly as shown in diagram D, this will familiarise the user with the technique for pushing the SRC against the Belay Master karabiner thereby unlocking the SRC while paying out the active rope with the other hand."

So I was doing it correctly per the instructions but I have to admit that letting go of the dead rope makes me nervous. Would the device lock up if the leader fell while I didn't have a hand on the dead rope?

The best compromise I could come up with was holding a bight of dead rope in my right hand while I pulled the dead rope up with the same hand, but this was cumbersome and limited how much slack I could pay out.

Should I change my technique?
... not showing 11 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums